✿ Seven ✿

FLASHBACK to the past.

///

"Dad," I inhaled, looking my father in the eyes with a fake confidence. It was all adrenaline.

"Yes, Rob?" He replied, a nervous grin on his face. I'm not sure what he was expecting, but it probably wasn't what I was about to tell him.

"I'm gay," I said.

And then it changed: his perception of me. The way he looked at me. Like I was the devil instead of his son. Like I was evil.

He kicked me out after that, but I knew it would be okay because Mat was there for me, he was my knight in shining armour. I relied on him and he knew that.

"Mat," I called to him when he opened the door to his one room apartment with a dingy smell and strange stains on his carpet. Sad tears fell down my face and he pulled me into a hug and when we pulled away, he clasped my head between his palms. I think he was inspecting for damage. His thumbs wiped away tears and then his lips were pressed against mine.

"Mat," I whispered breathlessly. He tugged me inside and shut the door behind us. I kicked off my well worn shoes and followed him to the couch.

"Stay," He said finally. I nodded.

We sat and cuddled, watching comedies on Netlix until the sun was beginning to dip. A sort of fog hugged the horizon and darker blue started to overtake the sky.

"What kind of takeout do you want?" Mat asked me, his hands stroking my hair like I was a puppy.

"The same as usual," I replied, "But can we get extra chow mein?"

"Of course, babe," He got up and made the call. When the food got there, we chowed down and continued our movie and cuddle marathon.

The next morning, I woke up in Mat's arms on the couch. He was already awake, I noticed. His eyes watching me in a sweet way and his fingers drawing circle patterns down my stomach.

"Morning," I moaned out, voice groggy with sleep.

I heard him giggle and I couldn't help but smile.

"Good morning, babe," He replied.

"Let's go to the beach today," I suggested. It was quiet after that.

"It's fall."

"So?" I argued.

"It's 13 degrees outside," He laughed.

"Please, Matty?" I begged, using a childish nickname for him.

"Okay, okay. You want to go? Let's go," He grinned, stretching and moving me around so he could get up.

"Get ready, babe. We'll get breakfast on the way there, sound good?" He asked. I nodded and smiled, not moving from my spot. I watched my beautiful boyfriend as he walked to his bathroom. Probably to put in his contacts.

I got up and walked to the bathroom, too.

"Mat?" I asked, putting my hand flat on the door.

"Yeah?"

"What are you doing?"

"I'm taking a morning shit, what about you?"

I giggled.

"Can I come in?"

"I guess, but it smells like, well, poop," He said bluntly. I laughed harder and opened the door. Mat wasn't sitting on the toilet, he was putting in his contacts.