The leader was like a furnace, a contradiction to the freezing temperature he kept the apartment, the combination sent goosebumps erupting across my skin. In slow movements, he moved his hands in a soothing motion across my arms and back. I closed my eyes and forced myself to relax.

"He can't hurt you here," Eric murmured and I resisted the urge to contradict him, whether he could reach me or not, the damage was already done. "Do you want to talk about it?"

"No." I whispered. "I just want to stay like this for a little bit longer."

.:.

Sunlight was streaming through the cracks in the blinds when I woke again, eyes sore and an uncomfortable pressure in my head, something solid shifted behind me and brought my attention to the arm slung around my waist and the apparent body it was attached to.

As carefully as possible, I tried to shimmy my way out of bed without disrupting Eric's sleep, though, he simply tightened his grip on my waist.

"Go back to sleep," he mumbled and I immediately stilled, I twisted slightly, Eric had his eyes closed and a softness to his face that I hadn't seen even in the half a dozen days since I had moved in. "You don't have to get up until later." 

I lowered myself back under the thick blankets, my eyes lingering on the arm he was yet to move. "Did I wake you up again?" 

"You had another nightmare and I tried to wake you up." 

Even with my back to him I could feel his gaze on the back of my neck, I felt the heat spread across my skin, I everted my eyes to a spot of weak sunlight near the corner of the room. I almost asked him why he stayed, but I feared it might cross into a territory we had both been avoiding as of late.

Instead, I stated "you don't look very comfortable."

Eric was silent, though his breathing was too regimented to mean he was asleep, eventually he released a deep breath.

"I can go back to my bed."

"I didn't say that." 

I didn't know if it was brave or stupid to admit, either way I couldn't take it back now.

"Go back to sleep, it's not even six yet. "

I snuck my arm back under my pillow and curled up under the blanket, feeling surprisingly content in Eric's company.

"If you snore I'm kicking you out the bed." I warned.

I felt a soft chuckle behind me as I drifted away.

.:.

Without a word I joined Maddie on the bench outside the simulation room, she knocked her knee against mine. "Rough night?"

I was well aware of the dark circles bordering my eyes, I nodded, taking in her red rimmed eyes. "What about you?"

"Hanging in there." She pursed her lips into a straight line "I was thinking of getting a new tattoo tonight, wanna come and hold my hand?"

"I don't think you need your hand held." I pointed out, the vibrant butterfly created from reds, greens and yellows and lined with black had been Maddie's pride for the past few weeks.  

"I don't." She agreed. "But I want you to come with me."

"As long as we get to eat first."

The dauntless-borns were not as quiet as the previous days, they whispered amongst themselves, I narrowed my eyes when I saw multiple pairs of eyes glance in my direction.