Prologue

• Dedicated to Jamison Panko

Life is a game, and we are the pawns.  The trick is choosing a side.

Prologue

The flames fan the air, licking the night stars with fiery tongues, reaching for the moon like hungry fingers.  The heat is unbearable.  My hair is charring simply by being near the flickering coals.  Screams soar over the crackling of the flames.  The long, elegant dress I'd been informed to wear is marred with black scorch marks over the pale silver.  My fingers claw futilely at the locked door, rubbing the tips raw with my frenetic instinct to survive.  The heat blisters my face.  Desperately, I scream as the fire leaps over the table, dancing towards me, lithely as a tiger.  I hold out my hand, feeling the sweltering warmth of the inferno's rage, and the fire leaps for my face.

I awake gasping, covered in a layer of sweat.  Shooting up into a sitting position, the rabid pants of my uneven breathing fill the desolate alley.  All is silent but my ragged gasps and the distant bays of Genetics.  Whimpering, I curl into a compact ball, burying my face into my ratty jeans.  Just a dream.  Just a dream.

_________________________________________

I encourage you to read on, it gets better!