Chapter 9

Mitch stopped suddenly. "Wait, Alpha. I left the flashlight in the bathroom."

Avi turned, and sighed. "Of course you did. Wait here."

Mitch quickly snagged his hand, holding it tightly with both of his own. "Wait, Sir! Don't leave me by myself!"

"It'll take me two seconds--" Avi paused, unable to resist Mitch's pouting face, and sighed. "Fine. Come on."

Mitch followed him closely, as they walked back into the bathroom.

Avi didn't even look at the other Alpha, as he strode past him to grab the flashlight. He faced Mitch and raised an eyebrow, just wanting to be sure. "This is yours?"

Mitch nodded once, only slightly intimidated by the other Alpha's eyes on him.

Avi handed it to him, and then started to walk away, until the other Alpha spoke up.

His voice low, but nothing compared to Avi's. "Disrespectful little thing, aren't you? Good thing you're fine as Hell."

Mitch ducked his head a little in embarrassment, for more reasons than one.

Avi immediately turned to face the Alpha. "Don't pass judgement on him as if you're his keeper. He didn't ask for your approval, nor should he have to. And watch your language around him."

The Alpha glanced back over his shoulder, now drying his hands. "Take it easy. I was just--"

"I don't need excuses, because frankly I don't care. Have a nice night." Avi grabbed Mitch's arm, and pushed him in the direction of the door.

"You think you can just say that to me and then walk away?!"

Avi stopped walking, and sighed loudly. "God... Alphas and their pride. Can't you just drop it? I was only defending an Omega."

"Your first mistake."

"That wasn't a mistake."

"Wasn't it?"

Mitch tried tugging on Avi's shirt like a child. "Alpha... Please."

Avi glanced down at him, and the fear he saw in Mitch's brown eyes was enough to bring him back to reality.

The Alpha grabbed him by the shoulder though. "Hey, I'm talking to you! Tell your slut to wait a--!"

Avi didn't hesitate, as he turned and punched the man in the jaw. "I said to watch your mouth around my Omega."

*********

When they arrived back at the campground, the fire was dying out and Kevin was already in his tent.

Mitch immediately ran to Alex, and tucked his face into the other boy's shirt.

Travis eyed him nervously. "Mitch? Is everything okay?"

Avi walked up right then, standing beside Travis. "An Alpha was in the bathroom. Said some rude things. But I took care of it."

"Took care of it? How so? Are you okay?"

Avi nodded once. "Not the first time I've punched someone."

Alex suddenly picked Mitch up in his arms, and Avi finally noticed that Mitch was crying.

Avi took a step toward him. "Oh my-- Mitchell, are you okay?"

Alex just frowned down at Mitch. "What did he say to you, honey? Don't ignore an Alpha."

Mitch kept one arm around Alex's neck, but brought the other to wipe at one of his eyes as he faced Avi a little. "I'm s-sorry... I'm okay."

Alex pouted at him. "Don't be sad, Minnie... Life's too short for sorrow."