O n e : "Money buys everything"

c h a p t e r o n e

S t o r y S t a t u s / O n g o i n g

S o n g / LANY :

W H E R E T H E H E L L A R E M Y

F R I E N D S

* * *

           The ice cold weather tightened around my pale fingers as they became numb. Rubbing them and breathing warmth onto my palms didn't bother helping. The struggle was inevitably frustrating. I blew a strand of my unruly curly blonde main out of my minimized vision. My best friend Aster seemed to be having a good time. Her face was bright with a twinkle in her eyes and a smile bigger than normal took place on her features. Sebastian would wrap his broad arm around Aster to help her toss the bowling ball, keeping her from rolling it into the gutter. She only knocked three pins down but because her boyfriend  had helped her it made her smile and stare at him foolishly.

       I rolled my eyes. I guess now, by the cuddling and steamy make-out sessions, I was the third wheel of the party. I now had no reason of existence here even though this was supposed to be a double date but my date was too busy focusing on his bottle of scotch and stumbling over his own words which were in my understanding meant for no one, in particular, had me feeling left out.

     I was now consumed by vexation. Ever since she started dating "Golden Boy" she never had time for me and her attitude and personality always changed when she was with him. I was always the person who didn't allow the environment of stereotyping to get to me but it was true. I was scared of losing my friend, my best friend even though she hung out with me it was as if she wasn't. During our time together she'd always be texting Sebastian and if she wasn't she'd talk about him all the time.

      Why was I such a selfish human being?

      I shifted in discomfort. I didn't feel like I belonged here.

     My thoughts were all scattered as I studied my slightly disheveled Nike Bruin shoes with the purpose of  entertaining myself, as if they were the most important thing in the world. I soon after felt the seat next to me sink which was followed shortly with Aster's giggling. Her emerald eyes were possessed by blinding love.

        Her gaze fell upon me and she gave me a closed mouth grin. "Lanny, why aren't you talking to Cameron? He's a very handsome guy and agreed to go on this double date."

       I shrugged and followed my best friend's traveling eyes which laid upon Cameron.

       You could say that Cameron was a very well attractive man. He had raven black hair which seemed as a river of spilled ink, and his soft curls looked so opulent and smooth that it could and would tempt any human to interlace their fingers in and cares his hair in a never ending cycle. And his stormy gray eyes were something anyone could get lost in. But he was a drunk who didn't have any goals for the future just sing and play guitar with his band at the diner I worked at.

      "Just because he agreed to go on this 'double date' doesn't mean he's interested in speaking to me. Plus It's getting late so I think I'm gonna be heading home now," I informed her with a queer closed mouth smile and stood up from the booth.

       She rolled her eyes and scoffed. "Then at least let him take you home," She informed in an urging plead. I knew she was doing this so I wouldn't feel left out but I guess she's too late. I was left out a month and a half ago and felt it like a quick slap to the face.