Ziall :: Strong

A/N: This switches back and forth between current time and past time (it starts out as current, and it's easy to tell after that).

-

My hands, your hands- tied up like two ships

Drifting, weightless- waves try to break it

I'd do anything to save it

Why is it so hard to save it?

Zayn pressed a soft, weak kiss to Niall's shaking hand. They were both shaking, actually, but Zayn was shaking more, fear taking over his body. Niall didn't mind, though- didn't mind that Zayn was weak. Niall should be weaker than Zayn is, right now, but he really didn't mind.

"I love you." Zayn said. He tangled their fingers together tightly, smiling at Niall in pure adoration- a look that always made Niall feel special, even in his weak, balding state. Zayn didn't care if Niall lost all of his hair or looked tired literally all the time, because Niall was Niall and he didn't need to look pretty to still be Niall.

"I love you, too." Niall croaked out, his voice rough from lack of use. Zayn never made Niall say much, because Niall's throat hurt all the time. He'd sit there and talk to Niall. It was so strange to Zayn, because he was usually quiet and Niall was usually loud. They were swapping roles, now, but Zayn didn't care.

"I drew you." Zayn piped up. He took his notepad out of his bag. He showed it to Niall. It was a picture he'd drawn from an old picture he'd taken of him and Niall. They were both out together, and Niall had suggested they take a picture together, because they'd never taken a picture together before and he wanted a picture of the two of them together before he was hospital-bound (Zayn tried not to think of Niall saying that). So he did. And Niall looked so beautiful in that photo. When he got lonely, a few days ago, he drew it.

"I drew us, actually." Zayn pointed out, because he had drawn himself, too, out of sheer boredom and the sudden need to complete the picture. Niall took the picture in his shaky hands, smiling.

"It's beautiful." Niall said. He stared at it for the longest time, soaking in every detail. He remembered that day, too. He loved the picture, as well. It was the only picture they had together, really, because they didn't need any more camera on them than they already did. "I love it, Zayn."

"I'm glad." Zayn smiled. He pressed a kiss to Niall's forehead, then he settled himself back in his seat. "I thought I'd give it to you- hope it would, ah, I don't know, keep you company? While I'm not here, I mean."

"Keep me company." Niall chuckled. He looked over at Zayn in amusement, rolling his eyes. "You're funny Zayn." Niall looked back at the picture. "But, yeah, it'll remind me what your face looks like when you're not here- as if I'd forget."

Zayn smiled again, and he kissed Niall on the lips this time. It was forbid for them to kiss each other, but Zayn didn't care. Niall did, and he pulled away almost immediately, pursing his lips. "Zayn! You'll get sick!"

Zayn shook his head. They were forbidden to hold hands, too, but he took Niall's anyways. Niall didn't try to pull back, because he really liked having Zayn's hand over his. It stopped his hand from shaking, and it was contact with his lover. "So?"

"So you'll end up like me." Niall said. He sounded very scared and worried. "I don't want you to end up like me, Zayn. I want you to be healthy and happy and able to get up and go to the bathroom by yourself."

Zayn didn't respond to that, just pressed another kiss to Niall's pouting lips. Niall didn't try to pull back this time, knowing it was pointless to argue with Zayn, and Zayn would just be able to hold him down and kiss him if he protested again.