Chapter Seventeen

Chapter 17: There Is Hope.

After a while, I could feel Kofura getting tired, so I told him to find a safe place on the ground. I jumped off Kofura's back, feeling the ground under my feet. I hadn't realized before now, but I had missed being on the ground. I guess that even if humans could fly like the birds, we would still land on the ground cause this is where were we belong. That's only a guess, I can't be sure about it since I can't grow wings like that.

I looked around in the area Kofura had picked and wondered where we were. I don't think I've been at this place before.

~I still don't understand.~ Kofura said and lay down, his head resting on top of his large claws, like a dog.

"What is it that you don't understand, Kofura?" I asked him and scratched him behind the ear, the place he loved to be scratched so dearly. He growled lowly in his throat, almost like a pure. He had his eyes closed as he savored the feeling.

~Why Kabuto hadn't giving us the signal yet. Do you think he had betrayed us?~ he asked after a short while, opening his black eyes to look sadly at me.

"Maybe. It wouldn't surprise me if he did." I told him, removing my hand from Kofura and sat down on his side, my back against him. "Or he could have been caught by Konoha or maybe killed. Who knows?" I said, shrugging. "I knew somewhere inside me that this plan was doomed from the start. Us and a single man with no particular talents, taking down the entire Akatsuki?" I huffed, not expecting an answer of some sort. "As if that would ever happen. It's the same if humans tried to get up to the moon."

We sat there for a while, just breathing. None of us said a word for what were we supposed to say? That everything would be alright? That Konoha would forgive our betrayal and welcome us with open arms?

No, cause we both knew that it was too late and whoever would find us here would either kill us on the spot or transfer us to the Hokage or the ANBU. Whatever the Hokage's order is.

I sighed, closinh my eyes and rested my body completely. Whatever my future may bring me, I was prepared. For whatever might come, even death...

"Shinju? What are you doing here?"

I widened my eyes and jumped up faster than lightning. I turned halfway to the left, seeing Shino stand with his sides hanging at his sides and his hood were down. Otherwise he looked like himself.

"Shino?" I said and took a step back. Whether it was in surprise or fear, I didn't know.

Fear for what?

I already knew the answer.

Fear of reject.

"What is it that you're wearing?" Shino asked me, but I just took a step back for each of the steps he took. He stopped, realizing what it was I did. Kofura lifted his head, looking sadly at us.

I ignored his question, putting my hands in my pockets and turned halfway to the right, avoiding Shino's gaze. "Aren't you supposed to be in the village? Fighting against the Akatsuki?" I asked him.

"Yeah, that's what I'm supposed to, but Father wouldn't allow me. He said it was too dangerous for me and wanted me to stay outside of the village, where I would be safe." Shino told me.

"I see." I said, still not looking at Shino. Kofura made a sound there sounded sad, sitting up and shook his wings a little. He were in distress, just like me.

"Shino." I said.

"Yes, Shinju?" Shino answered quickly, taking a step but then stopped again. He stood still, awaiting my response.