[14] 'something nice'

'To wear something nice' turned out to be not as easy as it seemed.

I wanted to look flawless. Beautiful. Interesting. All at once. But I had so many dresses, all of them beautiful, but not what I was searching for. I wanted more.

One hour ago I had arrived here in my chamber, completely soaked. Three handmaidens assailed at command of Joffrey to make sure I would recover as soon as possible.

To be honest I felt better than ever, no need for recovering at all. His lips on mine were more useful than a hundred bottles of milk of the poppy. He was my medicine.

"Which one would you like do wear m'lady?", the maid asked me.

"None of these."

"M-m'lady? I don't understand these are the only ones you have.", she told me cautiously.

"I want a new one. Go to the dressmaker. I want a gown in slightly gold, slightly sand like colours, will that be possible?", I asked her.

"I-I don't think he can make a new dress within a few hours...", she denied.

"Well, he better starts soon. I don't want to be late for dinner.", I smiled at her after I finished my sentence, but my voice was cold and demanding.

She curtsied very, very scruffy and clumsy and left.

I had another look at my dresses but they were so boring. Boring wasn't what Joffrey wanted. If I bored him, he would probably consider to deceive me with a whore and that wasn't what I wanted.

The light outside turned slowly orange and red. I don't know exactly how long I stood there and just watched the proceedings that were happining on the streets of King's Landing, but when the maid came back, the sun was almost disappeared.

She was wearing my dress and a candle, which she used to set fire to other candles in my chamber.

"This dress was the only one he had. He added a few smaller things and changed the cotton a bit. I hope that was in m'lady's favour.", she had put the candle into a candleholder and showed me the dress.

I liked it at lot. It looked noble.

"Thank you.", I said to her and turned my back to her, so she could help me changing.

My hair was done, I was wearing some jewelry and I had a man awaiting me in his dining hall.

Nervously I played with a ring on my hand while I walked.

He simply had to like that dress

He simply had to like that dress. He had to find it nice. It was new. It was something he had not seen yet. Yet.

The big door to the dining hall swung open with the help of two servants and I walked in. Every step made another dull sound  on the floor.

In the middle of the room there was a big, round table, very long as well and on one side of it were two big chairs. Chairs for a king and his proper queen.

"Lady Lyra", Joffrey stood next to the table and had his hands folded behind his back.

He eyed me when I walked closer to him.
When I was close enough I could see him biting his lip, before he hold out his hands to greet me.

I layed my hands into his and we made eye contact.
I was insecure what to do but he just leaned forward and gave me and placed a quick kiss onto my lips.
I pretended that I was totally prepared for it and that it was no big deal for me, but the butterflies in my stomach drove me crazy.

"Please, my lady, have a seat." He pulled back the chair for me.

The dinner was served and I barely eat something because I thought I could look weird. I ate enough not to feel hungry anymore but I didn't overeat.

"So", Joffrey started "As I see you found an appropriate dress. The king likes how you look."

"Thank you, my king. The dressmaker spent the last three hours on improving it.", I explained him smiling. He smiled back at first.

 He smiled back at first

"That fool. Has he been so lazy the last days so he had to finish it within a few hours?", his smile disappeared.

"No. I had nothing in my wardrobe that seemed appropriate enough for a dinner with the king. I wanted a new one. So I commanded him to be fast and sew a new one."

"Good. He better does what my lady commands. If anyone refuses your orders, tell me. I'll look after this person." I saw how his muscles tensed.

"How thoughtful of you.", I thanked him.

Joff kept eating. I rather sipped on my wine.

"So, how far is your army on the field of battle against the Starks.", I asked him.

"We're in the majority. We can't lose. And we have a plan to kill that 'wolf' soon. We will see. I got this. I am the king. I am a lion. I don't care about stupid wolves while I'm having dinner with my beautiful lady."

His hand ran through his light blond hair, which was usually hanging in his face. He was worried about that plan he mentioned.

"Thank you for your ivitation. It was a lovely evening and I enjoyed the dishes.", I thanked him and emptied my cup.

"Wait. Who said you could leave now?", he stopped me grinning. His muscles were still tensed and his hand embraced my wrist.