Chapter 7

Skye:

            I dug my face into the pillow, trying to get comfortable so I could fall back to sleep. When I moved around to get comfortable, I felt an arm wrapped around my back. I popped up and found that I wasn’t laying on a damn pillow. I was laying down across the couch with my head resting on Chris’s chest. He had his head resting on the back of the couch. The way I got up woke him up too. Then we both flinched back from each other. I jumped back all the way to the other end of the couch.

            “Um… good morning,” I nervously smiled, rubbing my arm in embarrassment. He yawned and rubbed his eyes. “Wassup.” Then he looked at me with wide eyes. “Did we fall… asleep…” he trailed off. I nodded my head. We were quiet for a moment. “Well, I’m going to go check out Jordan,” I quickly said, getting off the couch and tripping over my own foot. “Ow.” I scurried to my feet and practically ran up the steps.

            It felt weird waking up and having Chris’s arms wrapped around me while my head was laying on his chest. I found Jordan walking out of the bathroom in the room with a towel wrapped around his waist. “Hey man, sleep well?” I asked him, still trying to shake off the whole Chris thing. He looked at me as he got an outfit out of his backpack. “Yeah, did you?” he asked, laughing a little bit.

            I gasped. “Jordan! You were creeping last night,” I said. He laughed. “No, I wasn’t ma.” I gave him a ‘yeah right’ look and sat on the edge of the bed. “Well, do you like it here?” I asked. He nodded his head as he pulled his shorts on. “I want to stay here until school starts again!” he exclaimed. I giggled. “I don’t know about that sweetie. School starts in over a month. That’s a long time to stay here,” I told him. He sucked his teeth.

            There was a knock at the door and I looked up. Chris was standing there with a laptop in his hands. “Yeah?” I nervously asked. Why was I so nervous? He walked in and handed me the laptop. “Uh… you told me about not working last night. I thought that you having a laptop would make it easier to find one. Oh… if you want me to, I can help you out with your phone bill too. You know, in case a job wants to interview you, you need a phone for them to get in contact with you,” he said. I smiled. Wow.

            “Uh well the laptop is helpful. But you don’t have to worry about the phone bill. I-“ He cut me off. “No, I’m paying it. Now open the laptop and go to whatever service you have so I can pay it now online.” You could hear in his voice that it was more of a demand than a request. I went to the Verizon website and signed into my account so he could pay the bill. When he finished, he dapped Jordan up.

            “What’s up man? You sleep good?” he asked Jordan. “Yeah, it’s cool here!” Jordan answered. Chris laughed and flashed his smile. He has a pretty nice smile I can’t lie. I snapped my head into the other direction when I found myself staring at him. “Ma, I’m hungryyyy,” Jordan whined. I got up and ran my fingers through my hair. “Well, Chris do you mind if I use your kitchen?” I asked him. He shrugged his shoulders as he play fought with Jordan. “Don’t break none of my shit though,” he added. I rolled my eyes and went downstairs to fix something to eat.

            When I opened the fridge, I couldn’t choose what to cook because there was so much food. Chris is one person, why does he have so much damn food? I took out a carton of eggs and a pack of bacon. This sounds crazy but I was excited to eat this. I haven’t eaten this good in a while. And if bacon and some damn eggs is good eating that’s how you know I’ve been struggling.