Chapter 11

Nick's eyes fluttered open, a groan escaping his lips. He glanced around the hospital room, his vision blurring in and out rapidly. Suddenly it was as if he was back on the table, the electricity striking his middle.

His yell of panic rent the air as he sat bolt upright, his chest heaving. A cheetah nurse rushed into the room, and Nick bared his fangs.

"Get away!" He growled, clawing desperately at the bed sheets.

The nurse took a step towards him. "Its okay, Mr. Wilde. You're safe,"

He eyed the cheetah up and down, his pupils narrowed to slits. "You're not Cassandra," he murmured through grit teeth.

The feline shook her head and smiled gently. "No, I'm not. You're okay Mr. Wilde, I promise."

Nick stared at her for a moment longer, then nodded his head. The nurse smiled again and helped Nick ease back under the covers. That was when Nick felt it.

He froze as his head hit the pillow, his mind growing fuzzy. He closed his eyes as they rolled in there sockets. Faintly he could hear the nurse calling for help, feel the tubes being inserted into his arm, but he barely noticed.

His paw was groping under his covers, searching until it finally found what it was looking for. A strangled sob escaped Nick's throat as his fingers brushed against it, and he felt tears running through his fur.

He slowly pulled up the covers and lifted his head, staring in horror down at the stump that used the be his leg.