Chapter 7

Rosco had Cassandra pinned on her chest, his large hands planted on her back. She struggled wildly as Irving came up and handcuffed her hands behind her back. Rosco then lifted her up and carried her towards the cell. Her screams reverberated down the hall, eyes gleaming in a manic way. Irving shook his head and sighed, then ran towards Judy and Nick.
Judy was weeping quietly over Nick, hand stroking his head. Irving crouched down next to her, eyes wide.

"Is he...alive?" the hound asked cautiously.

Judy nodded. "Yes, but his breathing is ragged."

Irving licked his lips and turned to Nicks leg. He gently felt of it, praying that Nick wouldn't wake up. If he did, he would be in a world of pain, and hard to examine. After a moment, he drew his hands away, a worried look on his face. They were stained with blood. He glanced at Judy, who was staring at him expectantly.

"Well?" she asked, voice trembling.

Irving sighed, looking down. "I'm no doctor, but it doesn't look good." He looked up to see tears running anew down Judy's cheeks.

"And?" she said, looking down.

"Not only is the bone snapped, it appears to have snapped one his muscles."

Judy let out a sob, eyes closing. "Will it...will it heal?" she asked, looking into his eyes.

He squirmed uncomfortably under her gaze, not wanting to meet her eyes. "I'm...I'm not sure," he replied. The bunny sobbed again, hugging Nick gently. "My sly fox..."

Judy sat beside Nick's hospital bed, eyes drooping. It was nearly three am, and she had gotten no sleep. But how could she? Nick was still unconscious, he had a crack in his skull, and the doctors hadn't told her anything about his leg except, 'It's broken, ma'am. That's all we know.' Of course it's broken, she thought. That's pretty clear, Dr. Obvious. But I know you know more. You just don't wanna tell me because you think I wouldn't be able to handle it. Well let me tell you something...
She thumped her foot rapidly against the cold tile floor. She wanted to know more. She needed to know more. But it was no use trying to get it out of the doctors. She would just have to wait.

Half an hour passed, and Nick still hadn't awoken. She hadn't heard anymore news from the doctor yet either. She yawned and stretched, desperate to stay awake. She got up and walked to Nicks bed, eyes glistening in worry and fatigue.
"Hi Nick," she muttered, stroking his head. "It's Judy. I don't know if you can hear me or not, but I'm talking anyways." She let out a sigh. "I'm not sure what's going to happen to you. I'm not sure what's going to happen to us. But there's one thing I do know. I will always love you. No matter what happens. You are Nick, my Nick, and you are special, and always will be, to me." She leaned in and kissed his cheek, her tears wetting her fur. She turned back to walk back to the chair she was sitting in, but a hand grabbed her wrist. She gasped and turned around.
Nick was awake, eyes slightly open, a small smile on his face. He held onto her wrist and pulled her closer. She smiled, tears running anew down her cheeks. "Oh, Nick..."