harry

"i'd rather not talk about it." i tell her as i walk up to the picture and take it down from the wall. i've been meaning to do that but never got the chance to.

mab groans while sitting up. "i'm going to bed then." i turn around, she struggles to get up. i walk over to her, placing my arm around her. "no harry--"

i don't let her finish her sentence. "mab." she looks up at me. "let me help you." she doesn't say anything but lets me help her to the bedroom. setting her down on the bed, i return to the living room to put the fire out and return back to the bedroom where i find mab getting ready to sleep. sitting in front of the door, i watch her.

"when will you let me go, harry?"

i look up at her but she stares at the ceiling blankly. "i don't know."

"why me, harry?" this time she turns her head to me. i try to see her features through the dark.

"because you're different than all the others."

the sound of the bed moving startles me. "why are you so kind to me?"

"because i love you."

there's silence. "you don't love me harry. you just think you do."

"but i do love you, mab. more than anything."

i can hear her sigh. "no you don't. no one does." she mumbles before falling asleep.