mab

"mab, wake up. it's time to go to your uncles." i hear my mother whisper in my ear.

opening my eyes i see the familiar yellow walls from my childhood bedroom. my mother sets my velvet dress on my bed, a smile on her face. "mom." i say with a small yawn.

"c'mon mab, put your dress on. we're going to your uncles." i don't hesitate to say anything but do as she orders.

in the car i look out the window at the dry yellow grass. there's nothing much to see around here it's the same everywhere. if you were to ever see a flower in this area then that was considered luck. my mother sits in front of me as my father drives the car listening to his country music. "why don't we listen to something else, richard?" my mother asks changing the channel without his permission. the old fashioned 20's music blasts through the speakers.

we sit in the car for another hour or so before we reach my uncle's house. he greets us with hugs and kisses. "you grow up so fast!" he says, giving my head a small pat.

we stayed the night since it was too late to go home. it was hard for me to sleep so i decide to go for a walk around the area. i usually enjoyed visiting the horses. my favourite was lyla. she was light brown with golden hair, just like my mother's hair. as i pet her, someone behind me screams. looking back, my uncle's house is on fire. "m-mom?" i ask. "mom! dad!" i yell before running in the direction of the burning house.