The Dream Sequence

A one shot featuring Merlins dreams hundreds of years after everyone died, yay!

......."......l."....l.l.l"

Merlin sighed as the breeze ruffled his hair. He opened his eyes and stared at the blue sky above him. He always did love to arrive early, it meant he had time for a little peace and quiet. Of course that never seemed to last long.

   "Merlin! What are you doing?" Merlin tilted his head back to see Arthur hand in hand with Gwen strolling toward him. He smiled.

   "Oh you know, just planning how I'm going to spoil that little princess of yours." They had found out recently Gwen was with child, it had been slightly hard to believe since the queen wasn't showing yet.

   "It could be a little prince ya know!" Arthur huffed. Merlin simply grinned up at the clouds.

   "No she really couldn't Arthur." A new voice broke in, "Trust Merlin and I, we know things, it's called having powerful magic." Merlin sat up and looked over to see Morgana smirking at her brother from the shadow of a tree. A loud pop was heard and little Mordred appeared next to Morgana. The priestess smiled at the little Druid boy and greeted him with a hug.

   "Looks like she's ready to have kids." Merlin whipped his head around to see Will sitting leisurely against a boulder. Merlin rolled his eyes at his friends abruptness.

   "Remember when we were so young, Balinor?" Hunting said announcing their arrival, and Merlin grinned at his parents. Everyone was showing up right on time. 

   "I remember it quite fondly Hunith, you and Balinor both like little love struck doves. A little love however is not a bad thing." Gaius intoned, his arm hooked with Alice's. Merlin watched as the rest showed up.

Percival greeted them all with a friendly wave, settling his wife and trying to keep the children under control. Gwaine was laughing at some of his failed attempts. Lancelot sat calmly watching everyone, a lovely girl leaning against him. He'd found his 'Guinevere' so to speak.

   "Is anyone else starving?" Arthur inquired, his voice definitely whiny. Will scoffed at the King and his appetite.

   "Mordred, want to show them the trick we've been learning?" Morgana asked her pupil. The boy nodded eagerly and his eyes flashed gold. Several large picnic baskets appeared in the grass and the food was passed around.

   "What no strawberries? You can't have a proper picnic without strawberries, Merlin you should know better!" Merlins grin widened as Freya emerged from the lake before them and sat next to him. He breathed in her scent and closed his eyes. It was perfect, magic was free, everyone he loved was happy, together, and alive. 

He opened his eyes as the harsh smell of blood stung his nose. The sky had turned red and angry. He stood up, and looked around.

   "Merlin, I'm scared, Merlin." Merlin turned to comfort his friend, but Will lay on the ground unmoving an arrow shaft in his chest, he started to fade.

   "Thank you, you made feel loved." Freda's sweet voice drifted to him as she disappeared beneath the lakes surface. Merlin ran to her but he was too late, and she was gone.

   "I trusted you! Merlin! How could you!" Morgana shrieked at him, her eyes filled with nothing but hate. She disappeared into the shadows with a snarl, Mordred now older soon followed, a coldness in his eyes.

   "I'm proud of you son." Merlin gasped as he turned to see his mother crouching over her lovers body. She collapsed onto his chest her eyes glassy, a sickness taking her to death. They both sank into the earth. Gaius' muffled sobs drew his attention, and Merlin watched as Alice disappeared her hand wrenched from Gaius's grip.

   "I-I'm sorry Gaius, I tried . . ." Merlin trailed off as his mentor looked at him sadly before wandering off never to be seen again. His friends were being pulled from him one by one, but he couldn't seem to move, his feet stuck fast to where he stood. 

Gwaine fell with a scream, Percival succumbed to grief, Lancelot faded into shadow and his lady seemed to never have existed. The once cool breeze now whipped around the clearing swaying the trees and buffeting Merlin around, keeping him from going anywhere.

He turned his focus on his King and queen. Guinevere cried out a spell hitting her out of nowhere. Morgana cackled wildly out of sight. Mordred appeared and, his face contorted with rage, stabbed Arthur in the chest. As if one they both fell at the same moment bleeding out and still. 

The world seemed to freeze and the next thing Merlin knew his hand was on a sword hilt, and the hilt was in Morganas body. She fell her insanity finally leaving her eyes. Merlin was finally allowed to run to Arthur, and he realized with each step he walked on more and more bodies. He refused to look down at them.

Merlin reached Arthur's side but it was too late. His chest had stilled. Merlin stood and looked around the once bright clearing. The grass pulled away from underneath him and he was falling, spiraling into a deep abyss.

   "You have failed! You are accursed, bound to the earth, to walk her surfaces forevermore, unable to pass on! Curse you! Curse all that is Emrys!" A cruel voice shrieked at him. Merlin curled in on himself the darkness ever penetrating. He was going to hit bottom sometime and he was not looking forward to the experience.

Merlin sat up and gasped, fumbling for a light switch. He turned on his lamp and sat in his tangled covers for a while trying to forget. He shuddered and looked out the window. The sun was rising and a small beam of warm light hit his weathered face. He closed his eyes and focused on it taking hope from the promise it brought. Like the sun rose again every morning, soon Arthur would rise with it.

".........."............"

So just a little randomness,

Alternate title: All That Should Have Been

God bless,

Sereh