Secrets of Servants

In which Merlin reveals his magic to Gwen in some unfortunate circumstances.

---------------------------------------------------

Gwen smiled as birds sung and twittered in the trees above them. She looked over at Merlin, Gwaine, and Elyan. The siblings had decided to visit their father's grave and then relax for a bit in the woods. Gwen had decided to have a little picnic and had invited Merlin. Heaven knew the boy needed a break every now and again. Gwaine had followed under pretenses that Merlin needed to be kept safe. She didn't really mind though. She was just happy to be with her friends, and relax.

Gwaine was enthralled in one of his outlandish tales, when an arrow narrowly missed his face instead thudding into a tree trunk. The two knights immediately drew their swords on guard. The horses the group had rode reared and yanked at their tethers, terrified. Gwen hurried to the animals as bandits broke through the tree line. She watched as their numbers increased and the knights were fighting for their lives. Elyan and Gwaine could not be matched in skill, but there were only two of them. 

Needing to do something Gwen quickly found a sword and held it aloft. She'd never gotten proper training, but even she knew how to swing and duck. She turned to her left as a man charged at her. She parried the wild blow that he threw at her. He continued to attack leaving her only moments to defend herself, let alone counter with her own offensive. The man suddenly slumped forward, face in the ground. Gwen looked up to see Merlin standing there a sword also in his hand. She breathed in relief and smiled her gratefulness.

     "Go! Merlin get the horses and Gwen, and go!" Elyan shouted to the man. Merlin practically dragged Gwen to the horses where she promptly climbed into a saddle. Merlin stood below her, the reigns of his horse held loosely in his hands.

     "What are you waiting for?! Go Merlin, run!" Gwaine shouted. Merlin reluctantly climbed upon his steed and gestured for Gwen to follow. She did so hesitantly. Neither of them wanted to leave their friends, but both being servants they could not directly disobey the orders of nobles. So as directed they fled.

Gwen kept her eyes on Merlin ahead of her as he led the way back to Camelot as fast as his horse could gallop. He occasionally looked over his shoulder at her, or around them. He stopped his horse so suddenly, Gwen nearly fell from the saddle trying to stop her own mare.

     "What is it?" She asked quietly. Merlin didn't answer her, just studying their surroundings. Suddenly he stiffened and the birds, Gwen realized, had stopped singing. Merlin turned to her with wide eyes and gestured his head forward. She nodded in understanding and slowly they walked their horses forward. She tried to make as little noise as possible so as not to draw attention to whatever was stalking the woods. She hissed in surprise as men emerged from the foliage yelling their lungs out. She urged her horse forward at the same time as Merlin, but they were too late. 

Gwen saw Merlin pulled from his horse, but before she could do much about it she too found her feet on the ground. She looked at whoever had grabbed her to see Merlin. He grinned at her slightly and raised his sword. Somehow they found there way out of the crush of outlaw men and ran back the way they'd come. Their horses had bolted the moment they were riderless and Gwen knew that they would find their way back to Camelot, and Arthur would know she and Merlin were in trouble.

Merlin ran beside her their feet pounding on the dirt and leaves of the forest floor. Finally they slowed partly because the bandits seemed to have disappeared and slightly because she needed a small break. Merlin leaned against a tree trying to reclaim his breath. He smiled at her and she smiled back. The moment of calm was interrupted as footfalls echoed behind them. Merlin frowned and looked into the trees. He immediately grabbed her elbow and ran again. She had no idea where they were going, and she was pretty sure Merlin didn't either.