M v. L: What Does It Mean? Most Valuable Liar

So as requested by Ginger11pond, here is a short oneshot of Merlin versus Loki. I tried to make the title clever, but that may have failed . . .

============================================

Merlin woke rather grumpy at loud banging outside his room. What was going on? Was Morgana attacking Camelot again? Oh, wait he thought, Morgana's dead, Camelot's gone. Whoops. He looked around himself blearily. This was . . . Stark Tower. That's right he remembered. He'd come to the states to see Tony and his wonderful clean energy tower. Merlin honestly didn't think it was all that great, but his friend was excited so he was happy for him.

Another loud bang interrupted Merlin's reverie. Okay, what the hell was going on?! Try to get a little sleep, and then people make enough noise for it to be like a bloody siege! So as Merlin dressed and stumbled his way to the lobby, he was slightly irritated. His irritation grew the moment he saw a dude in green leather holding Tony by his throat. That was it, he thought, nobody hurts his friends and wakes him from his nap.

   "Oi! Green Prat! What ya doing? Put him down!" Both Tony and the green clad man stared at him. Tony in shock then happiness, and the leather guy in anger and disgust. He sneered at Merlin,

   "Who might you be? A friend of Mr. Stark's?" Merlin rolled his eyes.

   "Well, duh. Anyway I'm Martin nice to meet you." Merlin told the leather dude his fake name, the one Tony knew him by.

   "By the way, who are you?" Merlin asked. The man looked shocked and dropped a gasping Tony to the floor.

   "I am Loki of Asgard, and I a-"

   "Yeah, yeah, yeah, come to get revenge, or just conquer the world, blah, blah, blah, whatever. I don't really care about your sob story, I just want you to leave my buddy alone so I can get some sleep!" If possible Loki looked even more peeved. Merlin wondered why.

   "Petty mortal, how dare you speak to me in such a manner! For that I will . . ." Merlin tuned Loki out trying to stop himself from laughing. This guy thought he was mortal! Ha! Sure he was human, but would a mortal be over a thousand years old. He doubted it. Merlin refocused in on the situation as Loki stopped talking and started walking towards him. Merlin rocked on his heels, slightly impatient as Loki took forever to walk up to him.

   "Much like Stark you do not seem scared of me. Perhaps that is because you do not know what I'm capable of."

   "Errm, nope, I just don't think your worth getting scared about. I mean seriously there was this girl I knew once and she was scarier than you when she just stared at people. Really her glare was something to be proud of." Merlin informed the Asgardian. He just looked slightly confused as to why Merlin was still talking. 

   "No matter," Loki said to himself, "soon you won't be so talkative little man."

   "Oh, I don't know about that. It takes a lot to shut me u-" Merlin broke off with a gasp. Something was invading him. He looked down to see Loki's staff against his chest. He felt darkness from it. Dark magic. He focused on the power emanating from the staff. He saw it, and it wasn't supposed to be evil, but that is what this Loki was harnessing it for. A chilling cold swept his heart and Merlin was brought back to reality. He looked past the Asgardian to see Tony staring at him in horror, his suit only halfway on his body. 

Merlin closed his eyes and searched for his magic. He wasn't some weak little boy without a brain. He was Merlin manservant to King Arthur and the most powerful sorcerer to walk the earth. No little space toy harnessed for the wrong ends was going to debilitate him. He felt the warmth of his magic rise. Warmth and light like that of the sun. He had lived his whole life in the shadows, now it was time for him to come to the light. He roared and the dark was purged from him.