Kings and Coins 3

Merlin sighed as he stood before the oaken doors. Behind them was the gathered council of the Druid chieftains, the Catha High Priests, and the chosen leaders of all other organized sorcerer groups. For some reason they had deemed it necessary for him to be included. That was what he didn't understand. Merlin was a servant, not some great lord, or leader.

He shook his head and quickly slipped into the room. Of course even though he barely opened the doors and entered as quietly as possible, everyone still turned and looked at him. Merlin suddenly felt very subconscious as he noticed the only seat left was at the head of the table, and they were still staring at him. He glanced at the table once more looking for another open seat, before excepting the fact there wasn't one.

Merlin strode to the chair, and moved it to the corner of the table before sitting down. He hid a smirk of satisfaction that he successfully placed himself to the right of the exact head of the table. Iseldir, and Alator, the only two he had met before, looked at him with disappointed glances. Merlin simply grinned.

   "As we all know, magic kind was relocated here in one instance. I can say for certain the cause of this was the magic of Emrys." Iseldir paused in his summary, and Merlin tried to ignore the fact that once again he was being stared at.

   "Since we are here, and we know it is even more dangerous to leave with the declared second great purge, I move to create a haven for magic kind." Many of the chieftains and leaders nodded in agreement, whilst others murmured their support in thought. 

   "If it is the will of this council to create such a thing then surely we must decide a way of leadership? How will we live, what do we do for protection, communication? Will we be under one banner, or a conglomeration?" Alator asked. Merlin bit his lip as many of the leaders went into thought.

   "Errm, could it, um, could it maybe be possible to make a kingdom, only instead of a king have a council such as this to represent the general populus'  wishes?" Merlin said quietly. His heart pounded as critical glances were thrown his way. He had tried to recall words that sounded good, and would hopefully make his idea understood. 

   "That could work, but if there is no King then we should not call ourselves a kingdom." A woman said. Merlin looked at her for a moment before silently asking her name. She smiled slightly before answering,

   |I am Elony, Emrys.| Merlin smiled at her warmly. 

   "I do not think this council would work. The temptation of power can easily corrupt oneself, and if given the charge of a certain group, there could be fighting of our people. The innocents would not have voice, and the power holders would do what they wanted, not what was needed. The drive for selfish ambition overpowers that of selfless actions in everyone. I have yet to meet a man or woman who has not been overcome by this lure, even if for a brief time." An elderly gentleman spoke, his voice gravelly. Merlin saw the wisdom in his words. Even if the warlock's suggested way worked for many years, eventually pride and corruption would sicken it from the inside like a disease and people would suffer.

   "Then, we are to have a sole leader? A king?" Asked a young man a few years older than Merlin. Slowly agreement was given, and Merlin nodded his head as well.

   "Who? Who could we entrust our lives to? Who of us is worthy?" Elony asked, her voice strong. Merlin retreated to thought, and so did not see many glances thrown his way.

   "Perhaps, the people would elect someone. Have them voice their opinions, narrow it down to as few people as possible, then the council could vote?" Merlin asked cautiously. He didn't mind being shot down if it was a stupid idea, but he didn't want to irritate these people. They would be deciding who ruled over all, they would decide who he would have to pretend to call king. Merlin didn't like the idea of a king. He already had his.