The Noble Secret of a Servant in Blue

This is really AU. I'm talking Merlin is going to be a lot older than he is in the show, and he has more than just magic as a secret. And Gwaine and Arthur are closer in age like they have only a three years difference in age.

For this to work, Gwaine is twenty-five by the end of series four. I know he's probably older, but I don't want to go crazy with numbers here. Making Arthur twenty-two at this time. Merlin is thirty-five but still looks like he does in the show. 

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Balinor wasn't inherently loyal to Camelot, in fact, he was a knight for Caerleon and Annis. Hunith was a maidservant in the house and they were not allowed to be married by the rules of the Knights' code and Caerleon's own personal laws. Because of this the moment Hunith recognized her pregnancy she informed the man she loved, and he promised to look after them. As she was starting to show, Hunith left to Ealdor where a childhood friend lived and there she gave birth to a son, Merlin. 

She sent word to Balinor who took him once he was seven to Caerleon and informed the king that the house of Dragons had an heir. Soon Caerleon, who was still in alliance with Camelot at the time, sent Balinor to be the ambassador in Camelot, unknowing of the friendship that was forming between the Dragonlord and the royals of Camelot. Every few months Balinor would return and train Merlin with a sword. The boy showed great understanding and talent with the weapon, but he seemed to prefer books to metal. Balinor didn't mind. Caerleon did not know of Merlin's magic as Balinor taught his son to control his gifts and father and son agreed not to tell anyone.

 At the age of ten, Merlin was given an honorary knights position by Caerleon and Merlin went to Ealdor where his mother was in celebration. He only stayed for a few months before returning to the kingdom, even after befriending Will. Merlin trained during the day with Caerleon's real knights and they grew to care for the boy, even becoming his father figures. His real father was spending more and more time in  Camelot and soon pledged his allegiance to King Uther. A few days after Balinor's betrayal, Caerleon made sure Merlin stayed within his grasp so the dragonlord could not attack his kingdom, not without risking the life of his son anyway. Merlin was, of course, oblivious to this, and what provided more distraction was the arrival of the news of Dewhin (Pronounced Day-win), Merlin's closest friend among the knights, having a child. Dewhin announced with glee of his baby boys healthy delivery. His son was called Gwaine.

At the age of thirteen Merlin had grown into a true nobleman, both in sword and mind. Queen Annis had taken a liking to the boy and had taught him penmanship, reading, maths, and had even taught him Welsh and Greek. So Caerleon made an exception and knighted him even at his raw age. It was a fact that as many fairy tales told that as everything was looking positive for the heroes, everything must go downhill. Uther lost his wife to magic and started the great purge. 

Balinor fled his home and went to Hunith in Ealdor for a few days, before Uther sent knights to kill him and he left the woman he loved again, still unmarried. He hid deep in Cenred's kingdom, cursing Uther for ruining everything, and for being forced to live alone.

 Caerleon did not want to face the wrath of Uther and therefore followed his laws of illegalizing magic. The only problem was some of his most loyal knights had magic. Uther's hate, however, found its way into Caerleon's heart and he ordered those knights without magic to kill those that had it. Merlin, now fourteen, did not know what was happening. All he knew was his king was ordering him to kill his friends, and well, at fourteen he didn't know any better than to follow the Kings' orders. 

It was only when his sword was coated in blood and he heard the screams that Merlin realized this was wrong. He stopped and started fighting with the magic users. He realized Dewhin was doing the same. They stood back to back and fought with all they had, but they were outnumbered, and despite their best efforts the magic users were dead. They had been loyal to the king so much that they had refused to use magic against their attackers. Merlin and Dewhin were captured and in Caerleon's mind were thought of as traitors.