Chapter 26~Failed Attempts

It's been four weeks.

Four weeks of hell, pain, and guilt.

The first few days I've been on my own, I managed to find myself a home in a shabby looking motel. It took Blake one day to find me. But I managed to run away.

And after all this time, I was able to escape the gang. But at night—or maybe even in the mornings—I would never be able to escape my mother's ghost. Shameful at myself, I let myself sink into the hallucinations.

Nightmares.

The constant nightmares that kept me up screaming, preventing me from even closing my eyes for a second. There was no chance of having peace, while all I could stare at were these pair of blue eyes. Filled with so much pain.

Today, I risked going outside again. A bright sunny day at the park, kids running around, mothers trying to shush their babies while on their phones.

A pleasant sight, indeed.

But seeing the kids, only made me think about my younger sister, who would never experience a chance like that. And that thought alone, made me bring my knees up to my chest, and wrap my arms around myself as I silently cried.

Some adults eyed me as I stood up, making my way to the recent motel I took shelter in. I shrugged on my white sweater that I had also recently bought, continuing to walk down the stony pavement.

"Shannon," a soft voice called out. I turned to see a woman with soft blue eyes, dark blonde hair mixed with brown streaks, and light freckles covering her cheeks. The woman was dressed in a shining white color, making her complexion glow.

Mother.

Just like I remembered her. Except, this time, there was a hint of sadness drawn into her striking blue eyes.

"You've been a very bad girl, Shannon," the ghost of my mother continued. I shivered at the ruthless tone in my mother's voice.

Not very motherly at all.

Drawing my eyes to the ground, I continued walking. These hallucinations were dragging me with them. I was slowly dying, watching my life being pulled away by reality and holographic memories.

"Ignoring me," my mother demanded. She reached out to touch me, her hand feeling terribly cold as I shivered despite the warmth of the weather.

"No." I shook my head, taking a sharp left. I was only hoping for my mother to not follow me. And to not haunt me.

My mother's ghost grabbed my arm. "I don't see why you are taking your anger out on me, Shannon. You were the one who killed me."

Head pounding, heart racing, I pulled my arm away from the dead person grabbing me. "NO!" I shouted, other people glancing at me as if I had lost my mind. I looked down, knowing that I was the unfortunate one seeing ghosts.

Clearing away the tears from my eyes, I ran away from my mother as I neared the motel. Sighing out of relief, I managed to make my way up to my room, not even bothering to turn the lights on. I just wanted the darkness, the pain, and the emptiness.

"Sister," a voice laughed. My eyes closed on instinct as I sat on the bed, knowing just who the voice belonged to. Another mini me, with gray smeared into haunting blue orbs, smiled up at me.

Lea.

At least a ten year old version of her.

"No," I whispered to myself. Torture. This was torture. Seeing my sister laugh at me, twisting my thoughts, and manipulating me to just join her and die already.