Chapter 17~Lovers and Old Threats

I was still in my room, the sun just beginning to rise. I decided that it was time to get out of bed. All night, I stayed awake, whispering to myself that I must not think.

The dream still haunted me, and I would not allow it to replay again. I don't care if I don't sleep anymore.

Shaking out the bad thoughts, I silently walked out of my room, arms still wrapped around my waist. I wished there was some way to block the horrendous thoughts from a mind, but after all, it is impossible to block your very own thoughts from your own mind.

And there I was, walking down the hall, yet stuck in my horrendous thoughts.

"A penny for your thoughts," a voice whispered behind me. I turned to see Blake smiling at me, fully dressed, and ready for the day.

"There not really pleasant thoughts," I mumbled. "You look busy today."

Blake jumped as if he's just seen a ghost, which is impossible...I hope. I'm really questioning my sanity these days.

"Yes. Er...I've got some...gang leader business to do."

"Oh," I said, not believing him. He was obviously keeping something from me, but when was he not? Blake was a master of secrets. Hell, he could be the King of Secrets.

"Aw," Blake drawled out, smiling. "I know you're going to miss me. I know how much you love me."

"Pssh, no," I dismissed, quickly. "I love myself. A lot."

"Liar," Blake sang. He started rocking back and forth, grinning to himself. That had to be the biggest smile I have ever seen on his face.

"Don't start with me," I said, walking down the stairs. Blake followed me, still smiling. This was his chance to bother me, and he knew that. Annoying each other was a tradition.

A sad one at that.

"You look tired," Blake stated.

"Yeah thanks," I said, not really caring much. "Do you have any doughnuts? At the adoption center, they had this really big package of powdered—"

"Have you slept at all last night? Where did you even go? You left my room." Blake frowned, the traces of his smile, long gone. I frowned as well, biting my lips from the nerves that welled in me.

"I was in my room. Sorry, I didn't want to bother you," I answered. I reached the kitchen, swinging the fridge door open. All I saw was fruit, fruit, and vegetables. Where's the candy?

Gosh, this gang is so boring. Good thing they have me to sparkle up the place.

"Did you sleep?" Blake repeated.

"Maybe. No. Yes. I don't know." I shrugged, grabbing an apple. I find bananas overrated.

"Don't play games with me, Shannon," Blake warned. His predator-like eyes watched as I washed the apple, humming to myself, before taking a bite out of it.

"I played Monopoly once. It was not very fun. And Twisters? Hmmm, I did not like it either. I like my games, though. Find the candy, catch the rat, sing the anthem. You know what I'm talking about?" I could have sworn that after my speech, Blake's eye twitched a little.

"You're not answering my question, Shannon," Blake growled.

"Wow," I moaned. "This apple is heavenly. Did you get it from Target? Actually, I don't even know if Target is a supermarket. That's just dumb, right?"

Blake took a step forward to me, his eyes slowly narrowing.

"Shannon, I am serious."

"Gee, the nurses at the center would say that too. 'Shannon, I am ugly and serious.'" I giggled before continuing. "Well, they didn't exactly say that."