"Can I use your phone?" ☻

Your POV
It was a cold, October night and Halloween was just around the corner. The neighborhood children were outside, carving pumpkins with their older siblings and parents. I turn through an alleyway since it is a shortcut to my apartment.

The children's voices drown out as I venture further. A scuffle sounds back from the way I came and I whip around, a person might be following me. I back away from the entrance to the alleyway, looking for a figure to show itself.

"Watch it!" Someone yells at me when I nearly back into them. A tall man with gray hair is standing before me. "Oh. Hello, gorgeous". I jump in surprise and he chuckles. "Didn't mean tah scare you, love". His voice is creaky and low.

"Sorry, I'm just surprised is all," I respond and step to his left to pass. He stretches an arm out between himself and the wall, stopping me from walking by. "Excuse me, sir".

"I need to borrow your phone. It will only be a moment". Wanting to get out of there, I reach a shaky hand into my bag and hand him my phone.

He looks it over for a couple of moments, occasionally sending me a smirk. "Y'know, I just got out of jail a few days ago for murdering a girl. She just kept screaming and screaming, blah blah blah..." He says and noticed me how pressed up against the wall I am. "You've got very pretty lips.... What's your name?"

I stutter out, "Y/N. Ple-please don't kill me. I haven't done anything wrong to you". Still holding my phone, he turns it around a couple times and snaps his fingers in front of my face.

"Let's have some fun". He throws my phone on the ground, shards of glass flying in all directions. I push off the wall and try to run but he grabs my arm, swinging me back around to face him.

"Let me go!" I cry out and tears run down my face. We struggle for a few more minutes when we hear light footsteps. He looks up but doesn't loosen his grip.

"Hello, darling," a deep voice says and I watch in fear as the infamous Joker steps into the light. "I missed you". I don't respond, a little confused because I've never met the Joker in person. The man loosens his grip slightly.

"Who dah hell are you?" Joker smiles and looks at me briefly, there seems to be worry in his eyes.

"Very funny. Let her go". The man smirks and holds me up against the wall by my neck, making Joker step forward.

"I'm going to have my way with this girl and then stab you to death," the man growls and looks the Joker up and down.

"That's not very scary. Want to know what I would do? I would carve a smile onto your chest, gut you and maybe if I had the time, I would paint your insides on the wall. But only if I have the time," Joker taunts.

The man lets go of my neck and backs away. "I'm going to go. I don't want no beef, bro". Joker cackles and walks up to me. I breathe heavily and look into his eyes. The man reappears behind Joker, with a knife in his hand.

"JOKER LOOK OUT!" Joker turns around and sighs. He pulls out a gun and shoots the man in the head. I watch in horror as he takes out the bloodied and dead man's wallet, tucking it in his coat.

"What? Have to buy you a new phone, don't we? Now, the police will be arriving shortly, so I suggest we run". I stand in shock for a moment. "Run!" He yells and we take off through the alleyway, the sounds of sirens filling our ears.

 "Run!" He yells and we take off through the alleyway, the sounds of sirens filling our ears