Birthday Presents Part 2

But pain quickly struck.

Wave after wave of it.

"I...I have to leave."

Marinette looked at Chat in concern. She could see his eyes filming over.

"Chat..."

But he had already left.

"Plagg, claws in." Plagg zoomed out of the ring, not even asking for Camembert. There were more pressing matters. Such as Adrien's wellbeing.

Yes, it's a miracle. Plagg thinking Adrien's wellbeing is more important than cheese. Don't get used to it. It's a one-time thing.

Adrien briskly walked to his (walk-in) wardrobe, Plagg hovering quietly by his side. He threw the doors open.

For any respectable fashionista, this place was heaven.

Rows upon rows upon rows of clothes. Long sleeves, jeans, suits, T-shirts, practically everything.

Adrien slowly walked up to the scarves. He took out the blue one, and carefully looked at its end.

A tiny golden loop-de-loop design.

Flip it over, and it says Marinette.

Adrien had always thought it was part of the design.

He knew the truth now.

Or maybe he always knew. He just didn't want to believe it.

Either way, it didn't change what happened.

He didn't know what to feel.

Anger at his father for pretending that the gift was from him? Sad that he hadn't even bothered to get a proper gift for him? Guilt that he had bragged about it in front of Marinette, and she hadn't said a thing?

Adrien settled for feeling overall terrible.

He flopped down onto the floor of his wardrobe, so emotionally exhausted that he couldn't even cry.

"Plagg...why is my life so..."

"Terrible?" Plagg aka Adrien's psychologist supplied.

"Yeah."

"Well, kid, one thing I know is that it's not your fault. Just blame the universe." Plagg aka Adrien's failing psychologist answered.

"But...my father had the audacity to pretend that this gift was from him! He didn't even acknowledge the fact that Marinette had made it!"

Plagg remained silent.

Adrien narrowed his eyes at Plagg.

"Plagg...what aren't you telling me?"

"Nothing!" Plagg said a bit too quickly.

"Plagg..."

"Mayybbbee yourfatherdoesn'tactuallygetyourgiftsandNathaliedoeswhichiswhyyou gotapenforthreeyearsinarowandNathaliepanickedcausesheforgotyourbirthdayandusedMarinette'sgiftinsstead..." Plagg said in a rush hoping Adrien wouldn't understand it.

Author: How'd you know that?

Plagg: I have my ways... *melts into shadows*

Author: Okkkaaayyyy......

Unfortunately for Plagg, Adrien was an expert at understanding things when people said it in a rush. He got it a lot when his mother passed away. (For the record, I have absolutely no idea whether Adrien's mom is dead or just disappeared, but for the purposes of this story, she's dead. It would be awesome if she was still alive though.)