Chapter 1

I quickly snap my head in the direction of the noise and take in a deep breath, focusing on the very familiar scent, deer. Feeling no hunger, I decide to let it pass. Returning to my previous state, I attempt to fall back asleep once more, but the nightmare that I haven't had in almost 3 years looms in the back of my mind. Maybe a quick drink will flood the nightmare away. Jumping off the tree branch I was resting on, I head to the river.

As I glide through the tall grasses of the bank, I stop in my tracks at the sound of something rustling in a nearby bush. Bolting upright, my ears perked, I look all around me. My eyes catch the silhouette of another wolf across the river. Pretending not to see them, I lower myself onto the muddy floor and roll around. After a few moments of disguising myself I assume my position. I dip my head and take a few laps of water before the wolf stalking me jumps out of a bush from beside me, catching me off guard. He must've found a thinning of the river and jumped across when I wasn't paying attention. I quickly jump back and bare my fangs as I silently take in all his features: a pure white coat (rare, powerful), really tall (almost the same size as me), a radiating power (must be an alpha, too), well built, and strong. As my eyes meet his, a sense of calm washes over me as Midnight begins to stir. His eyes, the most enigmatic green eyes I've ever seen, entrap me, but only for a moment as I quickly compose myself. He still hasn't spoken to me, so I take this chance to try and read him.

It's a tad difficult, but as I look deeper into his eyes, I see that he's nervous. I smirk to myself. I can possibly use this to my advantage. I make the first move. Keeping my fangs aired out, I begin to circle this pathetic excuse for an Alpha. I throw in a couple of snarls and snaps, and laugh as his unease grows. I make one last circle and face him once more. Finally, he uses his ability to create mind-links and starts up a conversation.

"W-Who are you?" His deep and husky voice throws me off guard, but I quickly collect myself.

"Finally! You speak! I was starting to get bored." I snicker.

"Who are you?" He asks once more, his confidence returning.

"What's it to you?" I pause and remember what I'm supposed to be, "Look, I'm sorry I came into you territory, I promise I won't bug you or come onto your territory again. I didn't mean to cause you any trouble." As I turn to leave, our tails brush causing little electric tingles to form and travel up and down my body.

Mate.

I don't think twice before running away. My speed increases as I reenter the forest. As I continue gaining speed, the distance between us gradually increases until I'm several seconds in front of him. As the link begins to fade, I hear him once more.

"Why?"

I kick him out of my mind, only to hear him catching up. I spot a thick tree to the left of me and make a sharp turn as I change directions. As I continue running, my wolf whimpers, begging to go back, but I ignore her, and increase my speed. Coming up to the tree, I jump and run up the tree onto the nearest branch. Watching my balance, I lay down and begin catching my breath. No way he'll be able to follow me up here.

My eyes widen as the sight of that white wolf enters my field of vision. I watch as he trots to my tree and looks up. After making eye contact, he closes his eyes and inhales before meeting my eyes once more. Seeming to have no control of my body, I do the same. I become high off the overpowering scent of pine and sandalwood for a brief moment before I physically shake my head to snap out of it. I stand to get ready to leave again, but the branch seems to have other plans. I don't have time to react before my body slams against the hard earth.

"Are you ok?" In a split second, he is in front of me, concern etching his face.

I growl and snap at him. He backs off and gives me my space, unsure if I could go off at any moment. I slowly stand back up and face his wolf, eye-to-eye. My ears stay perked up, constantly twitching, listening for danger. I turn my attention to the wolf in front of me.