Chapter 20

As I sit in my small cell, I realize some time has passed since anyone's been back to see me. I was using the time to try and call forth the darkness, but nothing happened. I try the door to see if it's still locked. It is.

"What am I doing? What are they doing?" I ask Midnight.

"I don't know. But I'm starting to get a bad feeling. I know you said you need the darkness to beat them, but what if your plan backfires? You don't know how to control it. For all we know, you can be swallowed by it." She makes a good point.

I always think too impulsively. My first thought was to only protect the ones I love. I don't care what happens to me. As long as they're safe, I'll be content.

Finally, a metal clang pulls me from my head. Instead of my bastard of an uncle, it's Hunter who greets me inside the cell. Wow. Was I so in my head that I didn't notice him? No, it has to be the mercury finally starting to take effect.

"I heard you killed my witch in such a barbaric fashion. The ol' rip-the-heart-out cliche. It takes a lot of power for a werewolf to do that. Oh, and how you killed those three men last time we saw eat other. So brutal. You snapped one's neck so effortlessly. And the other two, their crumpled bodies... what a monster you truly are."

I can't even say anything. Not just because of the growing weakness in me, but also because for the first time, I know he's telling the truth.

My vision is blurry to the point where I can't see him maneuver his body into a fighting position. I can't react. The force of his kick to my side sends me hurtling towards the wall. I hiss in pain while I try to blink away the blurriness. He stalks towards me.

"Nothing to say? This is so unlike you. What happened to that smart mouth of yours. Oh. I know. You're so quiet because you know I'm right." Hunter pulls me up by the collar of my shirt and tosses me to the ground.

I am able to use my arms this time to break my landing, but damn, it hurt. I hate feeling so weak. I roll to my side, but his kick knocks the wind out of me.

"Everything that's happened is because of you. Because you were born." Another kick. "If you didn't save me, I wouldn't have been found by Henry. I wouldn't have told him you existed." And another. This one sends me back a few feet. They are getting harder each time. I spit up some blood while desperately trying to move. "He wouldn't have decided to attack your pathetic pack!" Once again, with full force, his foot connects with my stomach. I cough up blood and struggle to inhale. "Now look at you. Desperately trying to breathe. Who knew you were so weak? Oh, wait. You always have been. Always putting others before yourself, feigning pathetic selflessness. It's revolting." He comes to stand closer. He pulls me up to face him as he bends down, "If anything, you should just die. It would make life so much better, so much safer. I mean, who could love a monster like you? There's a reason black wolves don't and shouldn't exist. You're just like them. Full of undeserving power that goes to waste. If I could take your power I would, but alas I can't. So the next best thing is for you to just not exist. But, before that, I need to make sure a certain someone doesn't get in my way. Be glad you didn't get to know your uncle. For soon, he will be forgotten." He releases a small chuckle, "Till then, why don't you take some time to think about whether or not your life is worth anything."

I can't move or even speak. And I sure as hell can't stop his foot from colliding with my face, instantly sending me into darkness.

—-----------------------------------------

Liam's POV

I slam my hand against the table, "She's where?!" I growl.

"Ferris." Ravyn squeaks out again.