Chapter 24

Liam's POV

The pain is so intense, I almost pass out. I try calling out to her, but I am only met with a thick wall of silence.

"Kiara, where are you?"

No one responds. I sprint faster than my paws can take me. I feel Ace starting to become exhausted, but I can't stop. I can't. I push through the pain, trying to focus on the wind blowing through my fur. But, suddenly I stop. I shift unexpectedly and cry out in pain. Kai, Peter, and Drew catch up and see me on the floor, grasping my chest and trying to gulp down any air I can get.

"Liam! What's wrong?"

"What's happening?"

I look up with tears in my eye and unbearable chest pains. Kai looks at me and has a similar expression, "Kiara... I can't feel her." I manage to get out.

"She's either dying or..." Kai can't finish his sentence.

I refuse to believe it. I can't. I manage to control my breathing again and find my way up, "I have to get to her, now." I shift through the pain and continue running toward her. I try to prepare myself for any situation, but mainly the bad ones. Kai, Peter, and Drew try to keep up but, they can't. It takes another agonizing 5 minutes before I'm back on my pack grounds. I shift and run towards the hospital.

Several people try to stop me and talk to me but I push right past them. My only thought is to see her. I have to see her. I throw the door open startling Ravyn, who's seating next to Kiara's bed. I don't say anything as I walk to the opposite side of her and place my head against hers. I inhale her soft vanilla and strawberry scent. But it's growing weak, being overpowered by blood and metal. I lift my head and face Ravyn, slightly more present than before, now that I know she's still alive. But, Ravyn looks at me like I'm a madman.

"What did you do?" She asks as she points to her own mouth. I knit my brows, what is she talking ab- Oh shit. I think as I turn and face a mirror. I forgot to clean my face. The blood from earlier stained my mouth despite my being in wolf form. I try to wipe it off, but it's dry and needs to be washed off. "Is it... is it Hunter's?" I growled at his name but nodded. She seems to understand what I did. I look down at Kiara and place my hand against her cheek. The sight of the tube in her mouth and her pale skin breaks my heart even more. The guys and the doctor all walk in together.

"Alpha." I look at Dr. Lisa.

"Tell me everything." My voice is calm as I take a seat and continue looking only at my mate.

"I'm afraid I don't have the best news, Alpha. Kiara, although she's finally stable, has been through a lot-"

"Did she die?" I interupt. That pain I felt...

"She flatlined for a minute, but we got her back."

"I see. Please continue."

"She's suffering from extreme mercury poisoning, has a deep and complex wound that won't stop bleeding, and has several broken ribs and internal bruising."

"But she said she healed herself all those other times. How can she have broken bones and bruises? It doesn't make sense. Not only that, but why won't the wound stop bleeding? How bad is it?" My voice is starting to rise at all these unknowns.

"You have to understand, Alpha, we have limited information about how mercury affects her. But what we've gathered is that the mercury poisoning is hindering her healing ability which is affecting the wound. We tried administering anti-hemmorhagics, but those didn't work. We came to the conclusion that we have to cure her mercury poisoning before we can start to heal her wound. But, because her poisoning is so severe, it may take too long before she slowly bleeds out."