The Lost Daughter

'Would you like a drink?' the flight attendant asked just as the plane took off.

I was on my way to Columbia to try and find a few clues on who might want to kill me. Austin's funeral had taken place the last weekend in Hawaii. It had been an awful trip. Saying goodbye to Austin and seeing the place we grew up in was way too much for me to handle. I spent the whole weekend crying. By the time we got back to L.A, all my tears were finished and I needed a distraction to keep me from falling apart-so I booked a flight to Columbia.

'No thank you.'

I was alone, except for the big bodyguard at the end of the plane, the flight attendant and the pilots. Well because it was my Dad's private jet. He didn't like the idea of me on a plane with people I didn't know so there I was with no one to talk to and a stony faced bodyguard watching my every move.

'I'll pay you $250 000 to leave me alone, got it?' I asked him.

His face didn't even flinch.

'How about $2 million?' I asked.

I knew my dad was paying him a million for looking after me so I decided to double it.

He stared for a moment longer before stiffly nodding back.

'Just stay out of trouble.' He said.

That was the first time he had spoken to me since I met him a couple of hours ago.

'Yeah, whatever.'

I plugged in my earphones and listened to depressing songs until I fell asleep.

...

As soon as we landed, we were taken to a luxurious hotel by some people my dad had hired and I rested for a while. Adrenaline and excitement got me up and exploring the city I was in. I had no idea where I was but I knew enough to know that I was in the better part of the country.

I tasted few dishes, took a couple of pictures and just sat for a couple of hours. The entire time I thought of how great it would've be had Austin been there with me. I saw things he would've hated, people he would've made fun of and everything he would've loved.

Deciding to start investigating right away, I took a bus to the place Kats house was. It was kinda weird riding a bus in a foreign country where I knew no one but it was nice too. No one knew me and I was just another weird-looking tourist to them.

The house was in an abandoned area of the city. It looked like it had once been a mansion but neglect had made it look horrible. Plants and weeds grew at scary lengths and vines covered some of the walls. Taking a deep breath, I opened the rusty gate and kicked open the mouldy door.

Inside looked dark and dusty. I fumbled in the darkness and found the light switch. Surprisingly, the inside was clean. As if someone had been cleaning it regularly. I explored, finding the Kitchen and a few empty bedrooms until I came to a door with a drawing of a little girl on it. I pushed the door open and walked in.

In the corner was a little bed and all around the walls were covered in stick drawings and little paintings. It was a room fit for a little princess. I went over to the tiny dresser and on it was a dust-covered picture frame. I picked it up and brushed off a bit of dust. There was a picture of a smiling man and a little blonde-haired girl. I knew the man was Kat so I figured the girl was his daughter.

She was pretty and had sparkling green eyes. She had a stub nose and pink cheeks and looked happy. I opened the frame and took the picture, folded it and put it in my back pocket.
I left the room and found what might've been Kat's office. For an evil maniac, he had been a real family guy. I saw a couple of pictures of his daughter on his desk and in a few drawers. I opened the third drawer and there was a pack of letters in it. I grabbed them and put them into my purse. I was about to close the drawer when I saw a drawing at the bottom. It was written in big, pink letters saying: "Martha loves Daddy"