Being Public Enemy No. 1

'You need to wake up and go to school!' Mom screamed, banging on my door.

'No!' I screamed back.

Believe it or not but that was the first time I had ever refused to go to school. I hated skipping school, even when I was sick but that day I couldn't face the school. I knew what they did to snitches and cheats and this video put me on everyone's "to kill" list.

'Please.' Mom said.

She sounded tired, and after what had happened the day before I understood why.

Feeling guilty, I got out of bed and unlocked the door. She walked in and made me sit on my bed.

'Look love, I know why you don't want to go to school but you need to. You need to ask Vanessa who sent her that video and see if anyone knows where it's from. It will be torture, I know but staying here alone may put your life more at risk than if you were at school.'

I sighed.

'Yeah, I know. If I don't show up by 3 o'clock-you need to call the police,' I said.

'Good. Thanks love. Hurry-you're late,' she kissed me on the cheek then left, closing the door behind her.

...

'How did it go?' Rosalie asked me a few hours later.

'Oh please don't ask,' I groaned.

The entire day people stared at me, shot me death glares, whispered behind my back and mocked me. I was tripped, pushed and insulted on the way to every class. Austin was also criticised for still chilling with me. We had to eat lunch in the girls' bathroom. Yes, Austin went in with me because he didn't want me to be alone.

'The nerd picked on me,' I sighed.

Rosalie laughed in my face, clutching her stomach.

'Even Nerdy Nicky?' she asked, referring to the nerdiest girl in the school.

'Yes even her,' Austin answered for me.

The sound of laughter caught our attention. I whipped my head around to see Vicki and Nessi laughing at something either Holden or Trey had said. Their gazes caught mine and they stopped laughing abruptly. I had been avoiding them the entire day, too scared to face them but now there was no escape.

'Hi guys,' I said in a tiny voice.

Holden and Trey just glared at me as the twins looked me up and down.

'Oh hey it's her. Hi, how's your life now that you don't have to pretend to like us?' they asked in unison.

Austin opened his mouth to talk but was interrupted.

'We'll leave now. Goodbye,' their identical heads whipped around and they headed off.

'Why?' I called after them.

They stopped in their tracks and turned their heads at me.

'Why what?' Vanessa said.

Why, if you two were ever really my best friends, did you believe that video so easily? If you were true friends you'd know that I'm incapable of such. I thought to myself.

'Who sent you that video?' I asked, ignoring the question.

'Oh so now you wanna know who snitched on you?' she asked, laughing.

'Yes.' I said, looking at them coolly.

I had to try to find out who was after me and my family, even if it meant acting as some evil person.