This is War, not a game

The ward was lined with beds and curtains to give each patient a limited amount of privacy, however all the curtains were pulled back.

Like the men had said, the ward had been cleared of other patients and only the broken figures of Tornado and Bolt were in the room.

Bolt sat on the end of his bed with his head in his hands. Tornado was asleep, or unconscious. Vulcan couldn’t tell.

Not wanting to bother the two injured heirs, Vulcan helped Ripple make her way to one of the many unoccupied beds.

Once she had sat down she looked up at Vulcan and smiled, “I won’t need help anymore, I’ll be fine, really. You should see to the others,”

“Okay, your sure?”

“Positive, it’s only a broken leg, they both fell unconscious and we know nothing of their other injuries,”

“What about your chest? Isn’t that where Skull punched you?”

“Yes, I know you’re concerned, I’ll be fine, trust me. Just cracked rib-” before she finished she suddenly doubled over in pain clutching at her chest at the exact spot Vulcan had mentioned.

“Ripple!”  Bolt shouted stunned from his bed. Her sudden movement had woken him from his contemplation.

Vulcan was immediately by her side, “Ripple lie down on your back, you’ve lost a lot of blood, especially while you were unconscious, I’ll get some bandages. There’s not a lot we can do for you, I’m sorry. Human blood won’t suffice as a replacement so all the blood they keep here is useless,” Vulcan was up on the other side of the room where the medical kits were, his voice sounded shaky.

“Do you know anything about medicine Vulcan?” Bolt asked.

“I’m a soldier, I know the signs for when someone is going to make it, and when you need to hope,”

“Which is it?” Ripple grunted through gritted teeth.

“Hope, unfortunately, you should have told me you were in pain before.”

“I, I thought I was going to be okay,”

“Don’t play tough Ripple! That’s Warrior’s domain!” Vulcan shouted throwing the bandages down in front of him. He picked them up and gathered a few more from the pack before returning to the bed.  “It’s my job to make sure we all survive Ripple, you need to tell me if you are injured! Bolt help her stay upright for a bit while I put the bandages on,” Bolt followed Vulcan’s orders quickly and soon they had stemmed the flow of blood. It wouldn’t change much now, Ripple didn’t have much more to loose and it was already beginning to stop, Heirs were lucky in that respect, their bodies knew more about the damage they had sustained than human ones did, even if what they could do about it was limited.

“Is she going to be okay? I mean honestly Vulcan?” Bolt asked as he looked at Ripple who had fainted shortly after the bandages had replied.

Vulcan sat on his bed, staring at the floor, “I don’t know Bolt, Giant’s know,” Vulcan looked up at Bolt, “What about you? Are you okay, I’ve already neglected her, I should have asked but I didn’t, I need to know how my goofy sidekicks are right,” The last part made Bolt laugh.

“We aren’t that goofy, are we?”

“You are,”

“What you are is a failure Vulcan,” a voice called from the door.

“And you are late director!” Vulcan called back, anger in his voice.”

The door opened violently and the director strode in, wearing a suit of the exact type he wore when he had first encountered the Heirs.

“I am early actually, by four seconds exactly,” The director stepped forward, eyes snapping to and from his watch. He closed in on Vulcan, and although the man was a clear head shorter than Vulcan, the Heir took a step back, intimidated slightly from the sudden show of anger.

“What are you so angry about?” Vulcan growled, regaining some of his bearing.

“You allowed the fugitive to escape! A human beat you and your ‘superior’ companions!”

“In case you didn’t notice!” Vulcan roared “he is immune to all forms of physical damage! You could have sent in a regiment of the armed forces and he would have walked away! And they would have died just like the guards at the bank, or didn’t you notice the corpses, what about the Asylum he escaped from? Yes I read about it, killed human guards by touching them lightly.”

The Director grunted then turned away, “Twice Vulcan! Sar city bank has been robbed twice in a month, both times by a supernatural force! You are beginning to cost me more than you are worth.”

“Give me more time, we haven’t had time to even settle in you know,”

“Conduct won’t wait for you to settle in,” The Director said in a menacing tone.

“No, he will settle in himself, then he will make his move, he has a new Malus to train himself, he knows we have him outnumbered, he won’t make a move,”

The Director glared at Vulcan, “Well, what about Skull?”

“If we had, I don’t know our over powered friend Warrior back then we could have taken him,” Vulcan said bluntly staring at the director.

“You can have him,” The Director threw down Warrior’s helmet, “didn’t gain any useful data about him anyway, and Vulcan” The director pointed at him, “you and your team have one chance, mess up again and you are gone, you will be on your own. Understand?”

“Yes sir,” Vulcan said through gritted teeth.

The Director left the room, accompanied by two men in suits who had been waiting by the doors.

“Vulcan, what do we do?”

“Wake Tornado, Jolt him if you need too, he’s had enough rest. We need to talk, big time,”

“About what?”

“About training, we need to start as soon as possible,” Vulcan reached down and picked up Warrior’s helmet, “we will need it if we want to stand a chance against Conduct, and now,” Vulcan placed the helmet on his head, as if to test that it was still the same. As soon as the helmet came to a rest his whole body lit up and his eyes burned like they were made of light. “We have our ace in the hole back so we can deal with this, Skull when he remerges,” Warrior’s demonic voice finished.