Showdown

Bolt slammed into the wall next to Vulcan.

“Didn’t work?” Vulcan grunted as he stumbled to his feet.

“Nope,” Bolt said rolling over, he stayed like that for a second before jumping to his feet.

“You’ve got too much energy,” Vulcan said, “in a bad way,”

“Thank you,” Bolt grinned. As they shared a quick look Tornado was sent flying through the air once again. Despite his best efforts he still slammed into the top of a nearby pillar in the old bank.

Once he had slid to the ground Tornado mumbled “Ow,”

“This is going great!” Ripple called from the other side of the large room.

“I know!” Vulcan called, his hands clenched into fists and his arms lit up as they were covered in flame.

“Go!” Bolt barked charging forwards, electricity coursing through his body and even arching around him.

Vulcan paused for a moment; it suddenly occurred to him that both Bolt and Tornado had gotten a lot better since he had first fought them.

Vulcan realised he had paused for too long and Tornado was sent flying into him. Both of them went sprawling across the floor from the impact.

“Damn it!” Vulcan coughed, Tornado’s fist had hit him in the stomach, and the “punch” had winded him. Suddenly a thought entered Vulcan’s mind.

The sounds of battle continued to fill the room as Vulcan tried to get up. A lack of air could take down anyone, even an Heir. “Hey, Tornado,” Vulcan panted.

“Sorry, did I wind you?”

Vulcan nodded and suddenly oxygen filled his lungs, he coughed in surprise. “What did you do?”

“Oh, I can make air too, like you make fire, I just don’t need to use it much, or at all really,”

“thanks,” Vulcan said, although it felt weird, thanking someone right after they winded you with their fist. “Could you manipulate the air around that guy so you can’t breathe?”

“What? No way man, do you know how hard that is!” Tornado almost shouted.

“Can’t you just move the air away?” Vulcan asked suddenly puzzled. As he said this Bolt leaped onto the strangers back and began thumping him as hard as he could, the man didn’t even react to the attacks and continued his struggle against the small river that Ripple had summoned.

“I can take the air away sure, but you know what gas does? As soon as there is a vacuum it wants in!” As Tornado spoke his arms flailed around in an attempt to emphasise his point, instead he just looked like a monkey in the zoo. “I have to hold all the air back constantly it’s not like throwing a wave of solid air, all I have to do is set it up and throw, deals over after that, I could probably hold it like that for four maybe five seconds before collapsing and that will do nothing to him, maybe freak him a bit but I can’t stop him like that!”

“Your normal attacks are doing squat too you know,” Vulcan mumbled.

“So are yours!”

“Because he’s diving out of the way, clearly he isn’t worried about impact damage,” Vulcan hissed, indicating Bolt who was still pounding away at the man’s neck and the stranger had still not acknowledged Bolt’s presence.

“oh, you know boss man you might be right,”

Vulcan grinned, “I’ve got another idea, you go around that side,” he indicated the man’s left, “and charge, remember yell as you do so, you’ll distract him so-” as Vulcan said this Ripple shrieked. The Stranger had finally broken through the wall of water and had just slammed his palm into her chest, the resulting crack made Vulcan and Tornado shudder.

“Ouch,” Tornado muttered as Ripple began sobbing where she lay. The Stranger clearly had no interest in her and finally turned his attention to a stunned Bolt.

“Forget the plan! Charge!” Vulcan roared flames flaring around his body. Tornado charged beside him, feeding the flames with a strong breeze that suddenly swept through the building.

The Stranger reached Bolt first, put two fingers on the stunned Heir’s forehead and again an awful crack reverberated through the building.

Bolt fell backwards as if he had fainted. Vulcan suspected that he had, with very little assistance.

The Stranger turned to the last two heirs.

“You’ll pay for that,” Tornado grunted.

The stranger merely grunted.

Vulcan splayed his hands forward and suddenly the whole area was alight in front of them. Shouts came from outside as the flames rolled out the door. The only limits on the flames were the spots where his companions had fallen, the flame sensed them and danced around them roaring as it did so.

“Make sure the others have air Tornado!”

“I’m giving everything air!” Tornado yelled over the deafening roar.

“What?” Vulcan looked at him, the flames losing just a glimmer of intensity.

Tornado looked past him for a moment then pointed and shouted “Look-” before he could finish his warning Vulcan felt a massive amount of energy hit him in the chest. He flew through the air and slammed through a pillar. Before he even realised what had happened there was another crack and Tornado hit the ground somewhere nearby.

Everything was blurry in Vulcan’s vision, and he felt like throwing up.

In the corner of his eye he could see two figures, made of a spectral light carrying something out the door. Shocked voices resonated outside as the figures appeared, shots rang out and more cries of shock emanated, whatever the figures were, the bullets hadn’t worried them either.

The stranger walked up to Vulcan where he lay sprawled on the floor.

“Nice trick,” he said calmly in an Eastern accent. “But not good enough I suppose. Don’t bother,” As Vulcan tried to move he felt a heavy boot land softly on his chest. “I could crush your torso right now if I wanted to, but I won’t. You made a good show, but next time, stay out of Skull’s path ok? Well I doubt you’ll be doing that for some time anyway,” he turned around and barked “yng’mesh, leave her. I find it disturbing when you eat women as pretty as that, come we shall find you something good to eat shortly,” with that “Skull” walked away and to Vulcan, last of the fire clan, everything went dark.