The Pact

The cage of metal began to glow from within, and soon the whole heap of metal began to melt away, slowly at first, but within seconds a large portion gave way, resulting in a blast of heated air.

“Tornado we need to get down there!” Bolt shouted over the loud crackling of metal and flames, which somehow managed to reach them on top of their tall building.

Tornado didn’t reply straight away, grabbing Bolt’s arm and leaping into the air shouting “Bungee!”

They fell freely for a few moments, gaining speed as they went, both of the injured figures laughed as they went, two friends who even in the grim circumstances could easily laugh and carry on in a situation like this.

Before reaching the ground the air rippled heavily, they came to a light stop, gently making contact with the ground itself.

“Come on,” Bolt shouted limping off towards Warriors cage which was constantly becoming hotter and hotter.

Just as they reached it a major section exploded outwards, releasing a wave of extreme heat and flames which licked up the new air supply with enthusiasm. This sudden force sent Bolt and Tornado reeling.

The rest of the cage collapsed with a mighty crack which sent Bolt tumbling over as he regained his footing and caused Tornado to fall down where he stood.

As the flames settled they looked at the figure in the middle of the assortment of disintegrated road and burning debris. Warrior’s helmet lay on the ground, and there stood Vulcan, who slumped to his knees in the middle of the destruction he had caused.

“Vulcan? Is that you?” Tornado asked rising slowly to his feet.

Vulcan’s eyes opened he looked up, “yes, it is,” he seemed incredibly wary.

“What was that?” Bolt asked trying to get back up; they all were quite visibly exhausted from their battle.

“The full extent of my power, I guess in a sense a ‘super move’ usually you can only use them when your emotions flare and an amount of strength no one can truly access normally flows through you. Warrior can almost do it at anytime though, I never really found out why, at the end the power needed to use it in that cage almost killed us, the helmet came off at the end, but I don’t really sense much life coming from it, he might be dying in there, or he is merely resting up, I can’t tell,” a look of worry crossed Vulcan’s normally hard face.

“What do we do now?” Bolt asked.

“I don’t know man, maybe we just lay low for a bit,” Tornado answered, Vulcan didn’t react at all.

“Hey, flame dude? You there?” Bolt asked.

“I think he’s lost it,”

“No, I’m here,” Vulcan said solemnly. “It’s just, the realization hit me, Warrior is no longer the last Malus, and I am sure there are more of us out there, Conduct is sure to be at least considering recruiting the others. We need to find them first, us three cannot stand against more than one Malus at the moment, how will we fare against multiple?”

“You are right,” Bolt said slowly.

Realization dawned on Tornado’s face “You could train us! You seem to know all there is to this stuff! And if we work together we can become strong enough we can face them together!”

“Dying alone doesn’t seem like such a good idea I have to agree with you,” Vulcan said, a look of determination washing over his face. “I know the basics of power and I suppose I can coach you, but in the end each element has its own style, and I don’t know much outside my own,”

“The Malus seem tough though,” Bolt piped up “can we truly take them on?”

“Malus are generally wicked individuals, who resort to becoming Malus for instant power to make their own more powerful, but they merely have a head start, we have the advantage of motivation to learn. Maybe, just maybe we have a chance, but you two need to be willing,” Vulcan looked at the two misfits.

“You know we are!” they both chimed.

“With that we are doomed,” Vulcan stood slowly “Let’s get out of here, we need to get things organized,”

“Agreed,” Bolt said clutching his left arm.

“Or maybe not,” Tornado said pointing they all followed his finger, it indicated a wall of armed SWAT team members all with rifles aimed at them.

“Stop right there!” a voice boomed over a loudspeaker. “We have you girt! Do not attempt to resist!”

“Damnit” Bolt muttered.