The Duel

Vulcan’s ears rang as a team of law enforcement personnel entered the room, their stun device worked perfectly, and he could not hear a thing except the ringing in his ears.

Vulcan cursed loudly ducking behind one of the banks many makeshift walls, the staff had lowered the security shutters but Conduct had seen to them. Now Vulcan was on his own against a team of heavily armed and trained personnel.

“Freeze!” shouted one of their commanders as Vulcan jumped around the corner. Vulcan’s hands splayed outwards and a fireball erupted from his hands, engulfing one of the nearest security personnel. The security guard screamed as their clothing caught alight and they staggered away, attempting to douse the flames.

Vulcan laughed as the Security guards retreated in fright, they had just realized that this was no mere assailant they faced. Vulcan flung another large fireball in their direction, as it impacted the ball of fire exploded outwards catching another two guards with fire, they all began to flee the scene, realizing there was no hope.

Vulcan eventually stood alone inside the building as it burned around him, he was in no danger, the flames licked at his clothes leaving singes but did not leave a single mark upon his skin. The reception area was entirely aflame by the time Conduct arrived, Vulcan shifted the flames to allow his friend passage with barely a flick of his hand, still facing the doors like they were the only thing in the world that mattered to him.

“You ready to make a run for it?”

“Have you got what we came for?” Asked Vulcan still focused on the doors.

“Yes but I can’t carry both the bags using my powers and run, you need to carry one,”

“What about my backpack? Besides you should be disciplined enough to do that,”

“What’s so special about your backpack? And I can’t because of my magno shield. If I droped it sure I could carry the bags, then I would get shot and then I’d be dead wouldn’t I?”

“Would do the sighted world a favor,” Vulcan blankly jeered before turning to take the bag from Condcut. It was heavy, but that was a small price to pay when it was filled with gold bars.

Vulcan shouldered the bag, careful not to hit his backpack to hard. The canvas backpack clinked as metal struck metal. Conduct looked up at the noise.

“What’s in that thing?”

“Something useful, now come on we have to get out of here big time!”

Conduct grumbled as they emerged into the night. But the outside was immediately illuminated by hundreds of police lights and helicopter mounted spotlights.

“We’re in for it now,” Vulcan sighed, with a flick of his right hand a swath of fire engulfed his clenched fist, he motioned a punch, flinging the fireball into the nearest police car. The flames did little other than cause the police to cringe at the supernatural abilities facing them.

Some of them fired but their bullets merely dropped out of thin air in front of the two. Vulcan nodded to Conduct “so it does work,”

“Of course it does!” Conduct snapped facing Vulcan who began walking down the street occasionally flinging a fireball back towards the policemen who slowly advanced after them.

As they continued down the street occasionally a gun would go off, in the vain attempt to hit the seemingly invulnerable pair, bullets had suddenly lost all their power to the new arrivals and the police kept firing mostly due to shock that they were now powerless. Mostly Conduct and Vulcan laughed as if nothing was going on and they were just out for an afternoon stroll.