Heirs to the forgotten throne

• Dedicated to Lochryn Hearne

Tornado felt the air rush past his ears. He fell freely from a height that would make most feel unsettled and queasy. He laughed as he went down, moments before he slammed into the grassy paddock the air rushed up to meet him. His fall slowed down to little more than a slow descent. His feet touched the ground lightly and he ran forwards.

“Your improving!” A voice shouted from a nearby building outside the large park.

“I just fell from a ten story building!” Tornado laughed.

As he said so a bolt of lightning struck mere centimeters from where he stood, the bolt was small and no fire emerged from the smoldering grass it left behind.

“Your accuracy is poor my friend!” Tornado shouted back as his friend on the nearby building stood up, doing the motion of rubbing his hands together. As if like magic static electricity ran heavily through his hands. When he stopped rubbing them the electricity coursed through his whole torso.

Tornado couldn’t see what he was doing from this distance but it was obvious what his intentions were.

Tornado’s hands almost instinctively splayed and he rocketed backwards. Again the air carried him like it was solid. Lightning arced to where he had stood a moment ago. Again Tornado flexed his hands and suddenly the air had propelled him halfway towards the top of the building. Electricity arced down from above him as he landed next to his friend.

“We only just end up messing around when we do this!” Complained his friend.

“We should really be practicing for the real thing! Imagine if we weren’t the only ones with powers Bolt! We could be superheros and save everybody in this city from them!”

“That only works if they are evil Tornado,” Bolt said flatly.

“Then we could be the evil ones?” Tornado asked, confused.

“No we can’t be evil we’re the good guys!” Bolt reminded him.

A short silence came over the two as they sat on the edge of the ten story office building.

“How about,” Tornado began.

“We go somewhere that there are bad guys!” Finished Bolt.

They nodded in agreement. As this happened police sirens flared in the distance.

“You thinking what I am?” Asked Bolt.

“Will there be cake?” Tornado asked.

“Yes,” Bolt answered as they pushed themselves over the edge, as they landed on the ground below softly, caught by the air that surrounded them Bolt continued “Lots of cake,”.