Chapter 2: The Surprise

It is now summer, eight months and twenty six days after my birthday, I was reading Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix when an owl came flying inside, I thought it got lost or something until I saw a letter on its foot that was addressed to me. It said:

Headmaster: Albus Dumbledore                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           (Order of Merlin First Class, Grand Sorc., Chf. Warlock,                                                                                                                                                                                                                    Supreme Mugwump, international Confed. Of Wizards)

Dear Miss L. Wilson,

We are pleased to inform you that you have been accepted at Hogwarts school of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Please find enclosed a list of all necessary books and equipment.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                Term begins on 1 September. We await your owl by no later than 31 July.

Yours sincerely,                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   Minerva McGonagall                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              Deputy Headmistress

I read it and I bursted out laughing, I called Carina and said, "Really funny, the old 'you-got-a-letter-from-Hogwarts' trick doesn't work on me anymore. How'd you get the owl? And what the heck does 'L' stand for?"

Before she could respond, someone knocked on my door.

"Someone's here, talk to me about it later. Bye."

I hung up without an answer.

An old man with a really long beard came in and said, "How do you do Chloe, well your real name is Larissa, but everyone in our world calls you Lyra."

I say nothing. I turned around and said sat down on my tiny desk. He sat down on my bed.

"You're the doctor aren't you?" I asked

"No, I'm a professor," he responded calmly.

"I don't believe you. She wants me looked. I think I'm different."

"Or perhaps they're right."

"I'm not mad."

"Hogwarts is not a place for mad Hogwarts is a school.," he paused, "a school of magic. You can do things can't you Lyra. Things other children can't."

I'm going crazy! I can't be talking to the real Dumbledore! Whatever, I'll act like it's all part of it. I should tell him what I can do.

"I can make things move without touching them, I can make animals do what I want without training them. I can make bad things happen to people who are mean to me. I can make them hurt if I want. Who are you?"