OUT OF COMA

After four weeks in coma, Jota regained consciousness but he could not remember me. He could only remember his immediate family. Relatives, friends and me are all strangers to him. After struggling withhis memory for half an hour, he was sedated.

"Jota's amnesia is memory loss caused by a hard blow to the head. People who lose their memory as the result of a car accident like Jot may have traumatic amnesia. People with traumatic amnesia may experience a brief loss of consciousness, or even go into a . In the majority of cases the amnesia is temporary - how long it lasts usually depends on how severe the injury is."

"Balae, wala siyang matandaan except us"

"Sa kaso ni Jota, kilala niya kayo. Kilala din niya kung sino siya. Ang hindi lang niya kilala ngayon eh si JinKyung, ako, and the rest of the family. Like I said Balae, temporary lang ang amnesia niya. But we just pray and hope na mabilis lang ang pagbalik ng memory niya."

"Ano ang gagawin ko? Hindi niya ako kilala?

"Anak, Memory is the slowest part of the conscious mind to recover from an injury. It can be weeks or months before your survivor is able to routinely store new memories. Be patient with him cause like any Post Traumatic Amnesia patients, he will likely be disoriented, agitated, angry, impulsive, or extremely emotional. He may be disinhibited, demonstrating a complete disregard for social conventions. He may act like a child. He may behave bizarrely or in a manner completely alien to his personality."

"Balae, will he heal? Will he remember the past?"

"Balae, I can not assure you of that. Jota may not understand who he is, where he is, and what is happening to him. he may be unable to recall very basic information, such as his name, your name, the season of the year, or the name of the current president."

"Tito, In general, post-traumatic amnesia lasts three to four times longer than the preceding coma. In Jota's case, he was out for a month so he probably will gain back her memory in a couple of months or three months. But it can also be longer."

"Hyun is right balae, Jinkyung, While in post-traumatic amnesia, the patient is somewhat responsive, but baffled by his surroundings. He doesn't remember his daily activities. He can't think ahead. He goes robotically from place to place and from task to task as directed by his therapists. Since Jota is able to speak, he will ask the same questions repeatedly because he can't remember the answers. He may ask, "Where have you been all day?" when you have left his bedside for just a moment."

"What will I do then? I will be a stranger to him. He will not know who I am. He will ask why he is staying with me instead of his family."

Dad handed me and Jota's parents typewritten guidelines on how to respond to Jota.

"Here are some guidelines to follow when Jota is in the throes of post-traumatic amnesia"

Always identify yourself when you enter his room.Tell him that it is morning, afternoon, or evening, to help him orient to time.Warn him when you are going to touch him.When he trusts you, talk about his favorite things and pleasant, shared experiences.Talk about his pre-injury life, but avoid suggesting that he will need to create a new life.Show his photos of familiar people.Surround him with familiar objects.Tell him he has been injured and is in the hospital. Repeat this often.Assure him that he is safe from harm now.If you're not already keeping a journal, begin now. You'll probably spend more time with your survivor than anyone else. You may be the first to spot significant changes in his behavior. Alerting his doctor to these changes makes you a valuable member of his medical team.Don't ask his to recall his injury. He can't and this certainly will frustrate him.Most importantly, be patient with your survivor. Neurological healing takes time, a lot of time. Trying to accelerate the process only will upset him.Don't take any of your survivor's hurtful words or actions personally. This can be a challenge, especially if he is swearing at everyone who approaches him or takes a swing at you when you try to comfort him.Always remember, when a person has post-traumatic amnesia, he truly does not know what he's doing and he should not be held responsible for his actions.

"Papa, will this be difficult?"

"If you love him, nothing is difficult anak."