Chapter 25 - A Happy Ending

Damian POV

My heart drops to my feet and I scream for Jaxon when I hear the gunshots and I see her get hit. The bullet hitting near her heart and my own heart drops to my toes. My feet carry me to her before I comprehend I'm moving. I can hear Joe close behind me. I drop to my knees beside her and pull her into my lap. There's so much blood that's leaking from her. It quickly covers my hands as I push on the wound, trying to keep some of the blood in.

The policemen arrest Phillip and take him away. I have to force myself to stay put so I don't tackle him and kill him myself.

Against my protests, Joe grabs Jaxon from me. But paramedics take her from him and put her on the gurney. Joe and I follow them to the ambulance but we aren't allowed to be taken with them.

I get on my bike and follow them to the hospital. They wheel her into an emergency surgery room as they yell different doctor codes at each other. 

Joe and I are left to wait painstakingly in the waiting room.

                                                                                        ***

"Guardian of Jaxon Forrest?" a nurse calls into the almost empty waiting room. Joe and I both stand up but I sit back down when Joe shoots me a look. "You may see her now." Joe follows the nurse to Jaxon's room. I continue sitting in the waiting room. I bounce my leg in impatience and try to read a magazine to keep my mind occupied but its outdated articles and old "new" celebrity couples make me even more bored and anxious. 

I try closing my eyes and try to relax. The next thing I know I'm being shaken awake and come face to face with Joe.

"She's asking for you." Is all he says before he takes a seat. He tells me the room number and I shoot out of my chair and fast walk to the room.

She's hooked up to a couple machines when I walk in. I kiss her forehead and she flinches a little.

"Are you okay?" I ask. And I want to kick myself when I look at the look on her face.

"Well besides the fact that I had a bullet go through my shoulder and I could've potentially died, yeah, I'm freaking great." She sarcastically smiles.

"That was a stupid question, Jaxon, I'm sorry."

"Damian, I was joking. Honestly, I am good. I mean I think I was just given the best news and even better news. And I can go home in a few days and I think Phillip will be out of my life for a while if not for good." She smiles, sincerely this time.

"That's good, baby. What's this news?" I ask and I grab her hand while I sit on the edge of her bed.

"Well, Joe said I could stay with him until I go to college if I go to college. And even then I can stay with him. And I don't have to deal with Phillip anymore. I mean there's still a lot of, like, technical stuff, like the court date for Phillip, and me being in the hospital and school, but I really think that this is a turning point. Finally."

I smile for her and I can't help but feel a little peeved that I won't be under the same roof as her, but I think that's just the over protective aspect in me coming out.

"But, I also I need to apologize to you for the things I said, and the way I acted when you tried to help. I really am sorry Damian. I really do care for you and I hope you can forgive me." she looks at me through her eyelashes.

I lean down and I kiss her lips softly, "I forgive you, dork." And she pulls me to her and I capture her lips with mine once again.