Chapter 9 - Concrete Angel

***WARNING: THIS STORY CONTAINS ALCOHOL USE, ABUSE, DEPRESSION, ANXIETY, AND SELF-HARM AND THIS MIGHT BE TRIGGERS TO SOME READERS. I STRONGLY ADVISE YOU TO READ WITH CAUTION. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED**

Jaxon's POV

I wake up the next morning before my alarm and immediately feel the ache of my muscles and bones. I can already feel that my face is swollen and I dread looking in the mirror. I get up slowly but still wince and I bite my bottom lip to keep from crying out in pain. After Damian left, I got the beating of a lifetime. Phillip was furious that I had seen Big Joe and even more so that Damian was there, in the house, with me, alone.

I finally manage to reach the bathroom. When I flick the light on, I can't help but gasp rather loudly at the image in the mirror. The girl in the mirror looks horrible, and that's putting it lightly. The entire left side of my face is swollen and bruises litter my arms and I knew I am going to need long sleeves. I lift the bottom of my night shirt and I see the bruises on my hips, stomach, and ribs. Phillip wasn't careful, which means I am going to have to be. Which means a lot of cover up. Fortunately, it's supposed to be cool today.

I turn the knob on the shower to 'hot' and start carefully stripping my night clothes. I put them in the hamper. After a painful effort of getting clean in the shower, I get out and dry myself with a towel. I shrug on my rope and try applying some makeup to cover up the minor bruises and the ones that were on my throat. But with the swelling...I would just have to wear a hood.

I sludge back to my bedroom and pick out a salmon color long sleeved shirt with an owl on the front. I pair it with black skinny jeans and Korean style motor boots. I, then, shrug on a brown leather jacket with a hood. And I pull it over my head. I grab my backpack and make sure I have all of my books and homework. My cell phone dings and I read the text from Big Joe.

I'm outside when UR ready, Princess. Don't worry, Phillip's car still isn't here. - Big Joe

I groan. Of course, Phillip wouldn't be here. Joe doesn't even know he came back.

Don't freak when U C me, plz - Jaxon. I send as a warning.

I go downstairs and grab my house keys and a granola bar just for show. I walk out the door and lock it. I shove the granola bar in my backpack and slowly and reluctantly walk to Joe's car.

"Hey." Joe's deep voice sounds as he hands me a mocha from Dunkin Donuts. "What's with the hood?" He asks as he takes off toward the school.

I shrug. "Just thought I'd try something different today."

Joe pauses, "He came back last night, didn't he?"

'I nod and sip my coffee. "Let me see." He demands.

"No." I drink my coffee, feeling it burn down my throat.

"Please." He pleads.

I sigh and take off my hood reluctantly. Joe sees my face and his grip tightens on the wheel. "Why?"

"Damian was still there when he came through the door. And I thought he was you... and I said your name."

"I'm so sorry, little princess."

I shrug, drinking my coffee some more. "I-it's okay." I stutter. "I will be fine. I'll put some ice on it when I get back home so the swelling will go down. And I'll just make sure I don't piss him off so much so it doesn't get worse."

"You shouldn't have to go through that."

"It's fine! I can deal with it." I snap, throwing my hood up again. Joe pulls into the parking lot of the school.

"And what if he kills you?"

"Then I will gladly go home to my mom and dad," I say with a sigh.

"Don't say that. I know you miss them, but don't say that."

"Whatever," I say. I look away from Joe and out the windshield I see Damian. Angeline comes up and latches to his side. Damian turns and sees me as I carefully get out of the car. He scoots away from Angeline. Or tries to but, she is like a leech and a magnet baby spawn. I feel jealousy bubbling up my throat but I swallow it.

"Hey, isn't that your boyfriend." He asks. 

"No," I say. "And I told him to leave me alone."

"But you like him."

"You can't have feelings for someone you barely talk to."

"Did I say that?" he smirks.

I groan, "You, dear Joe, are impossible. See you after school." I say and I walk toward the school.

"Have a nice day, Honey!" he yells and I stick my tongue out and slap the hood and he backs out. I pull my hood closer to my head and I continue walking to the building.

"Hey," Damian whispers as I pass him. I don't look at him as I open the door and walk inside. But, stupid me, I glanced out and I swear I saw a pained expression on his face.

Surpriseeee! I'm baaaaaaaccckkkk!!! Miss me? No? Well, whatever, here's another chapter for you. I love you guys even if you hate me. xoxo Daniella Nicole.