Chapter 24 - Leave The Pieces

A/N: This chapter is heavy and may cause some triggers. Read with caution.

Jaxon's POV

When someone thinks about an unlikely situation, like a house fire, they think about all the things they're going to grab and bring out with them. Or if someone is being held at gun point, they think about all the things they could say or do to get the offender to not pull the trigger.

For me, that's not the case. I looked down the barrel of the gun Phillip held with shaky hands and I didn't think about anything to make him not want to pull the trigger. It's not that I wanted him to. It's the fact that once you're in a situation like this, your mind loses its ability to work properly. It's not like the movies where the victim talks rationally to the gun holder.

There's no one here to save me this time, except for the already dead, decaying bodies buried in the cemetery. Which they aren't going to do anything for obvious reasons.

I don't pray to God. I don't cry. I don't beg for my life. What I do is stand up on my feet and clutch the polished rock of my dad's grave for support.

"Get back down, Jaxon," Phillip commands. He gestures to the dirt with the gun. His hands are really shaky. I can tell he's either to out of it to hold it steady or he's terrified of the metal in his hands. 

"Why?"

"Because I said get back down!" he screams and pushes the gun to my chest. The hard, cold metal pushes into my skin, most likely bruising it.

"No." I look him straight in the eyes. Something in his eyes shifts and more anger seeps from him. The gun connects with my face and I fall. I feel my lip split open again and the skin on my knee breaks open from a rock that I landed on.

"You don't get to disrespect me, whore. You don't get to run off with some boy and not tell me where you are and then expect not to get punished." He whispers in my ear and then straightens up and points the gun back at me. I watch in almost slow motion as his finger moves to the trigger and I close my eyes as a tear finally escapes my eye and trails down my stinging cheek.

I don't hear the click of the gun. I don't feel a bullet pierce my skin. I hear the high pitched sirens of more than one cop car and an ambulance, followed by the roar of a motorcycle. And I feel relief flood my petrified veins.

Phillip seems to have noticed my sudden change in emotion and he must've heard the sirens, too. "What did you do?!" he screams at me.

The cars pull up and several policemen jump out with their guns pointed at Phillip.

"Drop your weapon!" one yells at him.

I see Damian pull up on his bike and skid to a halt when he sees the situation, rocks fly out from underneath his bike. Big Joe's car pulls up behind him and he clambers out of his car. I shake my head at him to keep him from moving anymore. He halts mid step. 

"I said drop your weapon!" the same cop yells and I tear my eyes away from the two guys to look at Phillip. But Phillip doesn't even look at the cops. Instead, he points the gun back at me and gun shots go off. Someone screams and something hot and sharp pierces my shoulder. My head starts spinning and I feel myself hit the ground.