Chapter 20 - Things Not Said

Damian's POV

I walk into the house carrying the Jaxon's stuff and I almost drop them all when I see Jaxon sitting on the couch with her arms crossed on her chest and her legs crossed Indian-style. She has changed out of her clothes into some old sweats that belonged to my mom and a Rolling Stones t-shirt that belongs to me. Her hair is her natural curly and is in a high, messy looking bun on her head.

As I take in her appearance, I look at her face. She's pissed. Her eyes show it. I look at the clock that is on the far wall behind the couch. I was gone for almost 2 hours.

"I asked you not to go." Her voice is a dead calm like quiet. "You promised."

"How did you know I went?"

"I recognized my bag." she shrugs and her eyes flicker to my bag. "Plus your mom told me after I begged her to. You really made her swear that she wouldn't tell me?" She uncrosses her legs and puts her feet on the floor. I catch her wiggling her toes in the soft carpet.

"I just wanted to do something nice for you," I say and walk back to her room and put her bag on her bed. I hear the soft padding of her feet against the floor as she follows me.

"You promised me you wouldn't go, Damian." She says again.

"No. I didn't."

"Excuse me? You cannot say that when you stood there and looked me in the eye and said 'I won't go. I promise.'"

"That's not what I said. I said I wouldn't take you back to that house." I clarify.

She stares at me with her mouth open. I walk out of the room, and back to the kitchen. She follows me again. Part of me feels bad for tricking her like that but another part of me doesn't care because now she doesn't have to wear the same outfit over and over.

"That's not fair, Damian."

"How is it not fair? Me, your boyfriend, doing something nice for my girlfriend."

"It's not fair because you could've been caught or worse, hurt. I asked you not to go, and you went regardless of what I begged."

"You're mad because Mrs. Princess didn't get her way?" I say and open the fridge to grab a soda. "You want one?"

"No, I don't want one." She sniffles. I turn around and see the tears threatening to fall down her cheeks. "What?" I say.

"I can't believe you said that." She says and she swipes her hand under her eyes. "I have never gotten my way, you know that."

"That's what you're crying about?" I snap. She looks at her feet.

"This was a mistake." She whispers. I set down my Pepsi on the counter. I take a step toward her and she takes two steps back. "Jaxon. Come here. I'm sorry." I say and reach my hand toward her.

"Don't say that and not mean it, Damian. It means nothing then. Do you even know why I'm so upset that you said that." She looks at me. I shake my head and drop my hand. "I'm mad because I have never ever gotten my way. I never got a normal family. I never got to do normal teenage things. I never got to have normal memories. Both of my parents are dead, Damian. They're both freaking dead. I got stuck with my asshole step dad that drinks way too much and is barely ever home because of that, work, or he's shagging some prostitute from the street, catching who knows how many STDs." She's shaking by this point and the tears are in a steady stream down her cheeks by now. My mom and the twins decide to make an appearance by now.

"I had to cook, and clean, and make sure everyone thought Phillip and I were perfect little family." She spits the word. "Let's not forget the fact that when he actually was home, I was his personal punching bag and maid." Her voice is louder now, albeit a little shaky.

"I had to get creative with my fashion and my make up choices so no one would suspect anything. And although this far from the last thing that's wrong with my life, I have major PTSD, depression, and anxiety." The twins behind her are both crying and hiding their faces behind my mom's leg and my mom has her hand over her mouth and a horrified on her face.

"So, no, Damian, I never have gotten what I want so you can piss off." She hisses. With that, she turns on her heel and looks at my mom and siblings. "I'm sorry," she whispers to them and she storms out of the kitchen.