32

"You know, you have a really nice face," Will observed, breaking the silence. His nose was almost brushing Nico's.

"Is that a compliment?" A smile crept upon Nico's lips. His light, rhythmic breaths tickled at his skin.

"Why, yes, it is," the tanned boy confirmed.

"I suppose your face is rather handsome as well," the other boy admitted.

"I know."

"I don't think that's how it works."

"Hmm?" Will lifted an eyebrow, giving him a confused look.

"Well, are you really supposed to say 'I know,' when I'm complimenting you?" Nico gave him a cheeky grin.

Will's blood went cold. Those words, they were so familiar. "I-I..."

"What do you mean, 'I know?' You're supposed to compliment me! Say how beautiful I am! What kind of narcissistic loser replies like that?" Nyssa had stormed.

"I'm sorry, I...I thought you'd take it is a joke."

She slapped him on the mouth. "Shut the fuck up, Will."

He rubbed his hand over his cheek. "Nyssa, I think you need to see a doctor about your...problem. This isn't healthy."

"Excuse me? Did you just say I had a problem?" The cocoa skinned girl spat. "Take off your fucking shirt."

Will obeyed, removing his swim shirt. He knew it was best not to argue.

"Now kiss me," she ordered.

"No, thank you," he responded, instantly regretting it.

She kicked him. Hard. "That's not what you're supposed to say! Love me!" Nyssa hissed, yanking him by his forearm and shoving him against the wall. 

Will could see a mix of emotions in her eyes. Sadness, anger, fear, heartbreak. There was another soul trapped in the body of a potentially wonderful girl, but he'd never seen that side of her. She needed a doctor, a real doctor. She needed someone to love, someone to help her.

But Will wasn't that person. He never would be.

He wrestled his arm from her grip, and rested a hand on her shoulder. "Nyssa, stop."

"You can't do anything about it! It's not like you can hit a woman!"

"But a woman can hit a man, and that's okay?" He challenged.

Will blinked, and in the split second of doing so, his world went black.

"Will? Are you okay?" Nico squeezed his hands, bringing the blond back into reality. His eyes were full of concern, wonder.

"It's...nothing," he lied.

"William, there are tears in your eyes. It's obviously not nothing," Nico said calmly. "It's okay, you're okay, I'm okay, everything is fine."

"You stole that line from me," the taller boy pouted.

"You steal lines from me all the time, Solace."

"You got me there," he muttered.

Nico had backed up a bit now, but he was still holding onto his hands, running his thumbs along his palms. "Do you want to talk about what just happened?"

"Uh,-"

The pale boy cut him off. "Never mind. Let's do something else, okay?"

"You're acting weird," Will noted.