9

Nico had considered bailing on his idea a total of like, five times, but he knew he needed to get things off of his chest. He had his phone in his pocket in case Will texted him. That could get him out of this.

It's now or never, he thought.

Tentatively, he knocked on the door to Percy's apartment.

Nico, of course, regretted it right away. What if he's still at Piper's? What if he's busy? What if I don't know what to say? Why did I even consider this?

But, sure enough, Percy answered. He looked at Nico quizzically, and then smiled. "Hi, Nico."

He couldn't help but admire Percy's tanned skin and shiny black hair. It just barely swept over his eyes, his sea green eyes...

"Nico?"

He blinked. "Huh? Oh, I'm sorry." Shit.

"Hey, do you want to come in?"

"Yeah, sure."

Percy shut the door behind Nico and beckoned for him to sit on the couch. The apartment looked exactly like his own, except for the changes in paint color. The main color scheme seemed to be blue. Some beach themed decorations were hung on the walls.

"Is there...a reason you're here?" Percy asked awkwardly.

"Noo, I just wanted to show up at your door randomly," Nico snapped.

"If you insist." He smiled sheepishly.

"Shut up, Jackson. I'm here to say sorry."

He raised his eyebrows. "For what?" He was on the opposite side of the couch that Nico was on, legs crossed.

"I kissed you."

"Oh." Percy shifted uncomfortably. "But, hey, we were both drunk, and it was an accident, so it's fine. No hard feelings," he said awkwardly. "And, you know, I've never kissed a guy before. I don't remember the happenings of last night much, but I remember that completely."

Nico looked down at his feet. "...Uhm, would you be willing to hang out again sometime? Maybe just at Piper's place with no drinking. Or kissing."

"Hopefully we can, with all of our busy work and college schedules. I haven't been able to see Annabeth very much lately..." Percy trailed off.

Oh, right. Annabeth. It was always about Annabeth. Annabeth this, Annabeth that. Nico had nothing against her, but hearing about her all the time made his heart hurt. He'd never had anyone to love, unless Hazel counted. And probably Mrs. O'Leary. Percy had all kinds of friends, and he probably had parents that he was close with. There were a lot of pictures of Annabeth and Percy on the wall, he noticed. There were also some with Percy and his (Nico assumed) parents. Of of course numerous works of art by  someone named Rachel, who, he had to admit, was an amazing painter. 

"Nico? Did you happen to hear someone screaming at Piper's?" Percy cut into his thoughts. "Whoever it was, they were screaming, "Wheel! Wheel!"

"Uhm... That was me, Percy. I wasn't screaming 'wheel.' I was screaming for Will." He bit his lip. Why is everyone questioning that?!

"Who's that?" He turned to look at Nico.

"My..." Friend? Best friend? Roommate? Crush? No, not the last one. "Roommate," Nico finished after a long pause.

"You were screaming for your roommate?" The taller boy was in disbelief.

"Is there a problem with that?" Nico snapped.