Ch. 31

I recommend listening to that song whilst reading this chapter- it will make it 10 times more intense and sad ;)

I'm running as fast as my legs can carry me and it still doesn't feel fast enough. I'm hurdling logs and swaying between trees. I can hear Joe screaming out my name and other nonsense from behind me, but I don't dare look back.

I have no idea where I'm going, but all I know is that I'm getting away from that house.

I hear sirens going off from somewhere behind me and I think for a second that finally the police have come to rescue me. I stop running and look around for them.

"Here! I'm here! Come save me!" I scream out. I turn around in circles trying to see if an officer will come to me or not.

Bam! I get the air knocked out of me and my butt hits a heavy rock. Joe is on top of me and is struggling to stay there. I scream at him and claw at his face. He tries to hold my arms down. I take my fingers and push them into his eyes which immediately makes him let go and grab his eyes. I push him off of me and scramble to my feet. I hear motor sounds from behind me, but I don't stop to look.

I focus on what is ahead and all I can see are trees. Which is very discouraging.

I am about to pass a tree that has moss growing all over the left side of it when a 4 wheeler from behind me drives up to the right of me. I lunge left to avoid getting hit by it. I slip on a root and try and grab onto the tree for support, but my hand slips on the moss. I scream as I go down and my arms hits the roots that litter the forest floor. I hear a crack and I scream out. Everything at this point is moving in slow motion. I scramble to get to my feet, but my vision is blurred by my tears and my ears are ringing with that terrifying sound of the motor.

I see more 4 wheelers racing toward me out of the corner of my eye and all I can think is: keep going. This could be your last chance and you're not giving up now.

I push myself farther and farther, my legs are on fire and my arm is with out a doubt broken.

I'm suddenly tackled to the ground and I cry out.

"No!" My throat is raw from screaming. I try and push this man off of me, but he's too strong. He won't get off of me. Our arms are in a tangle of trying to get to each other. He pushes my arms down onto the rough ground and my left arm is in so much pain, I can't even feel it anymore. I use my legs to kick this guy, but then more people grab my legs and I can't move. I yank my head back and forth and try to pull myself free. I'm screaming and crying at this point because I am so immensely frustrated and scared at the same time.

"Please!! Help!" I scream out to anyone that can hear me. A hand slaps me in the face and I cry out.

I keep screaming and someone keeps slapping me. It hurts so bad, but this could be my last chance.

"Please!!" I cry out one last time before my vision slowly fades to black and all other existence is whisked away from me.

 I'll never be in peace though.