Ch. 54

[Kaedan's pov]

"Come on Kaedan, it's time to get up."

Someone was pulling the covers off of me. I opened my eyes and my vision was a bit foggy so I blinked a few times and then saw the shadow of Joe standing next to the bed.

I grumbled and sat up before remembering why he had woken me up so early.

"What time is it?"

"5:00, we have to leave soon because the plane leaves at 10."

"Okay." I got out of bed and walked back to my room. I had already previously picked out my airport outfit, it was on my closet floor: Grey sweatpants and a short sleeve black shirt with silver lettering. I was bringing along a light grey jacket because airports are usually cold.

I changed and then pulled on some socks and Nikes.

I put on some lip balm because my lips were always chapped as soon as I woke up. I used the bathroom and brushed my teeth. After I brushed through my hair I walked downstairs where Joe was saying bye to JJ and Ethan. I hugged them both and then wheeled my suitcase outside to the car. Joe out it into the back for me and I climbed into the front seat with a blanket.

I was soooo tired still so I decided to nap a bit just before we got there.

Once Joe got in and started the engine I asked him, "how long is the drive there?"

"About an hour, but I can make it in 45 minutes." His voice was still a bit hoarse because of how early it was.

"Okay, just drive safely." I was always a bit paranoid about getting into car crashes.

"Okay." He laughed.

I tried to nap, but I ended up just staring out the window. There were lots of farms and trees, but it was beautiful none the less.

"10 more minutes!" Joe said after we passed a sign.

"Yay, are we doing good on time?"

"Yeah, we are going to have lots of extra time so don't worry."

We were in a big city, but not many people were out on the street. A lot of men and women in business clothes and suits were walking through the streets.

Then we passed a sign that said Topeka Airport. And I finally knew where we lived.

I just sat still and quiet for a bit, just thinking about that. That I finally knew where I lived, but of course we probable lived in a small town outside of Topeka because the drive here was so long.

"You okay?" Joe quickly looked at me before returning his eyes to the road.

"Yeah, just super excited to go."

We pulled into the airport and paid for a parking spot and all of that. Surprisingly the parking lot was very full so we ended up getting a space in the very far back.

"Okay, ready?" Joe looked at me before we got out.

"I'm ready."

I opened my door and the cold air slapped me in the face. I stepped onto the concrete and almost fell. I would have slipped if I hadn't been holding on to the car door. The concrete had a thin layer of ice over it in that one spot.

"Joe?" I asked after I walked to the rear of the car, "is it snowing?" The sky was still dark, but a post lamp was showing either light rain or snow.

"I believe it's snowing Kaedan." He said, laughing at me.

Joe pulled my suitcase out of the trunk and I slung my carry on over my shoulder. Joe pulled his stuff away from the car before shutting the trunk and locking the car.