Highway to Hell

Scarlet sat in her car as she read over her lines. The door to her Grandmere's house was literally feet away. Still, she didn't want to walk inside. She wanted to stall for as long as possible because she hated the thought of going to her dad's. Also because she didn't want to face the awkward silence lingering between her and Grandmere since the days she told her what was going on.

And she wouldn't even tell her what was going on. Screw the law and the court system. Why couldn't she just tell her what was happening and why she had to leave?

A rapid fire tapping came from the outside of her car. Scar could see her Grandmere through the window. Once she had her attention, she pointed to her watch and then to the window control. Begrudgingly, Scarlet rolled down the window.

"It's time to go now. Get you things," Grandmere ordered.

Scarlet rolled her eyes. "Like you even care." She stepped out of her car and stormed toward the house.

"Do you think I want you to go back to your father's?!" her grandmother cried.

"Yeah, I do!" She slammed the front door behind her and stomped her way up the stairs. Her Grandmere followed in her wake.

"The second to last thing I want in this world is for you to go back there, and be at the mercy of your father's drinking problems!"

"Then why are you making me go!?" Scarlet screamed as she entered her room. Her bag was already on the bed, packed and ready to go. Her Grandmere was standing in the doorway, blocking her exit.

Her arms were crossed over her chest, but her eyes were brimming with tears. "Because if I refuse to send you away for the next two weeks ... I lose you forever."

Scarlet could hardly find it in herself to care anymore. Her Grandmere had a past that was being questioned by the court system. She was going to have to spend the next two weeks at her dad's. Wort of all, she was stuck working with a complete idiot at school as well. If only Winter hadn't reminded her of the fact that she and Wolf used to be friends. Then maybe she could find a way to ignore him. Now, she had it stuck in her head that he just didn't want to remember, that she was too unimportant, and that he just didn't care.

But now, Scarlet didn't care either.

"Do you even know how bad his drinking has gotten?" Scarlet questioned. All her grandmother did was shake her head. So, it was impossible to tell if he'd gotten worse. Since it was highly unlikely that he'd gotten better at anything that wasn't drinking more alcohol.

"All I know is that you can't be here when those men from the state get here. If you are, they'll put you in the foster system ... and I'll never be allowed to see you again," her grandmother sighed. "You have to go. I'm so sorry, but you have to go."

What was left of Scar's heart had shriveled up beyond recognition, and she forced her way past her grandmother. Down the stairs and out of the house. She was probably going to be treated like a slave at her dad's house. She'd be told to get him a drink, clean up that mess she didn't make, go out and buy food for them cause he didn't feel like it, etc. Back when she was eight, it was easy to just shut her eyes and hide in her room until his fits of drunken rage were over. Now, she didn't think it would be so simple.

Opening the door, she got into her car and threw her bag into the passenger's seat. She started her car and backed up out of the driveway of her Grandmere's house. Down many roads and back ways she traveled to her dreaded destination. She knew the way but hear. She'd walked it a thousand times to her grandmother's house when her father's wrath was too much, or when he hurt her.