Chapter Thirty-Three

Iris’ POV*

“Wha-What do you mean you love me? You don’t love me. You never have.” I reply, fists clenching in anger toward the statement I have just heard. 

“I do, that was just my way of showing it to you, and trying to make you stay with me, I can be so much better for you-“ Drew replies, I don’t even let him reply before I send the palm of my hand against his cheek.

“You could never be better than Josh for me. You kept me there, thinking afterward I would stay with you? You hurt me, you raped me. You think I can just forget those things and move on. No chance.” I say, tears welling up in my eyes as Josh brings a comforting arm around my shoulders, pulling me into his chest. 

Drew watches with wide eyes. 

“Why’d you do it. Why did you lock her in that closet in the first place. Why did you then kidnap her, and do horrific things to her?” Josh says, tone of voice raising and pulse becoming faster. 

“For the love.” Drew says, but Josh interrupts by bringing his fist down on the table.

“That isn’t FUCKING love. That’s possessive torture. “Josh says, I move my left hand onto the table to clasp on Josh’s larger one, in attempt to comfort him, only to have it moved by Drew as he examines the ring on my marriage finger.

“You-You’re engaged.” Drew stutters, looking deeply into my eyes, making me cringe in my seat and snap my hand back and place it in my lap. Looking down at is as I absentmindedly twiddle with it in-between my fingers. I smile and look up at Drew. 

“Yes.” I say, smiling rather smugly, until I see his reaction.

Tears begin to form in his eyes and he looks the most compassionate I have ever seen him, his eyes glint in the light as a watery drip cascades down his prominent cheek bones.

“You can’t. I love you. I loved you FIRST.” He says, sniffling. 

“No, I can. You don’t love me, and as long as you don’t treat any other girl how you treated me, then you’ll find someone better, I know you can.” I say trying to reason with the crying man. This is my weakness. Men crying can bring me to tears even if I don’t know the man. I hold my ground and prevent myself from crying my looking at Josh who is looking at me questioningly. 

“She’s right. You could do better. The only reason Iris and I are together, is because of you. I fixed her, and then you broke her again. You and Iris aren’t right for each other.” Josh says, sternly.

“Oh what and YOU AND HER ARE?” Drew shouts, slamming both his hands on the table as he sniffles again. 

“YES. HENCE WHY WE’RE GETTING MARRIED.” Josh shouts, back repeating Drew’s actions with a little more anger. 

Drew slides into his seat. 

“When did you arrange it?” He asks.

“Well, we got engaged about three weeks ago. We don’t know when the wedding will be yet, but someday soon we hope.” Josh says, taking my hand in his and clenching it slightly for the reassurance that it isn’t rushed. 

Drew sinks further into his seat.

“Just go.” He says, pointing to the door. Josh and I nod and evacuate the building. When we get out, Josh looks at me wide eyes. 

“I would never let anything like that happen to you again Iris, but at least you got some answers.” He says, kissing my temple as he curls his arms around my waist where they settle on my stomach. 

“Josh, I just want to go home.” I say, he nods and spins me so our faces are in line.

“Anything for my beautiful Princess.” He says, kissing my lips lightly and taking my hand as we walk toward the already waiting Taxi.