8

Ashton walked steadily up the stone slab stairs. His fingers twitched in his jeans pockets as he got closer to the large cedar doors. His long jet-black hair was messily tied up in a bun.

He knocked on the door softly.

"Come in." A deep male voice called from the other side of the door.

Ashton slowly turned the doorknob and walked through the door into the large, dimly lit office.

Long navy currants hung from the ceiling covering the large glass windows. Small stands of sunlight peeked through the velvet curtains.

Ashton's gaze fell on the man who sat at a long stained wooden desk in the middle of the room. The man's eyes were fixated on three creased pieces of paper he held tightly in his thick, umber hands.

"Ashton." He acknowledged the young beta standing at the door, eyes never leaving the piece of paper in his hands. "Have a seat." He motioned to the empty chair across from him. His eyes skimmed through the letter as he flipped to the second page. 

"A letter from your father?" The beta questioned as he closed the door behind him.

The man nodded, slowly rubbing his temples.

"Is everything alright?" Ashton asked worriedly, swallowing a lump in his throat. Then, making his way toward the empty leather chair across from the man, he sat.

Ashton's leg bounced up and down as he anxiously waited for a response.

The man shook his head slowly, "It's nothing." He let out a large sigh setting the paper down on the desk. His right hand balled up into a tight fist. "I'll deal with it later." He finally looked across at Ashton. His face was flat and expressionless.

"Fill me in on the raid." He spoke sternly.

Ashton shifted his seat, sitting upright at the edge of the blue leather suede chair.

"Well." He began, his hands gripping his knees, "as you know, we finally tracked down the exact location of the rogue pack responsible for the attacks of packs and kidnapping of she-wolves in the last couple of years." Ashton began.

"The main wolf responsible had been working with two other rogue wolves and a small group of hunters to attack wolf packs all over the country and poach she-wolves. We have linked them to more than five attacks over the last ten years, sir." He began explaining.

"I..." he paused, "We," he corrected himself as his grip on his knees tightened. "Hit many dead ends with unhelpful leads, but last month when we caught one of the human hunters, we were able to get much information and finally track down the location of his main bunker." He continued. "The leader kept particular she-wolves for his..." The young beta paused, his stomach contorting in disgust. "For his sick collection. He'd beat, tortured, and raped them. We found records when we infiltrated the house of the bunker. We hope going over the footage now will help identify many of the missing she-wolves that were reported missing in the last year. We hope that we will now be able to give many packs some form of closure." The beta explained.

"Did you find anyone in the bunker?"

Ashton's thoughts flicked back to the young she-wolf they had rescued.

"Only one she-wolf made it out alive." The beta's head hung low in shame. "Had we arrived a day earlier, we would have been able to save another woman." He lamented, his voice shaky as he attempted to keep his composure.

"The young woman in the back of the trunk. We were able to get to her, thanks to Gavin. Thanks to him, we stopped the truck, rescued her, and captured the others involved."