19

Lois walked in step with them, guiding the way toward the North family's home. The quaint brown wooden house lay nestled behind the pack house, a silent witness to years of history. It emanated a sense of coziness and comfort that seemed to beckon them closer, even amid their somber mission.

The house was a rustic haven adorned with a white farm-style porch, the creation of Bianca's father. He had once said that he added the porch to give the house some character. It was a sanctuary that told stories of evenings spent watching sunsets, shared laughter, and tears shed. Weathered by time, a wooden bench with chipped paint and splintered edges swung gently in the breeze. Surrounding it were vases, remnants of the vibrant blooms that once filled them, now standing barren and empty, echoing the current state of their pack.

Nestled beside the house was a majestic oak tree. The tree's robust branches reached skyward, their sprawling fingers seeming to touch the heavens. One of those branches extended towards the second-story window - Bianca's old bedroom. It reminded her of her childhood, where she had forged countless memories. As a child, she would climb out of that window, daringly escape into her own world. On hot summer days, she would sprawl on that sturdy tree branch, the pages of her books rustling like whispers in the wind as she immersed herself in fantastical tales.

Lois' footsteps were soft against the earth, guiding them toward this familiar abode. And as they drew closer, Bianca couldn't help but feel a pang of nostalgia amidst the present turmoil. This house held the echoes of laughter, the ghosts of whispered secrets, and the warm embrace of her family.

The wind whispered through the oak's leaves, carrying fragments of memories - the laughter of childhood, the promises of youth, and the hopes that had woven their dreams.

Eleven years ago...

"Bianca, dinner time!" Her mother's voice rang out from the kitchen downstairs. She perched on the oak tree's branch, her legs dangling on either side, the back of her thick blue sweater brushing against the tree's bark. Gripping the book tightly, her eyes devoured every word with insatiable anticipation.

"I'll be down in a second," she said to her mom. With only three pages left, she was eager to finish the book. The words seemed to dance off the page, and her eyes grew watery from her reluctance to blink, fearful of missing a single word.

In an attempt to encourage their daughter to read more, her father had made a deal - if she finished an entire book, he would let her accompany him on patrol. Being the determined ten-year-old she was, Bianca had chosen one of the thickest books in the store.

The humid breeze rustled the leaves around her.

"Mom said to come down for dinner," Emiline's voice emerged from Bianca's room window.

"I'm coming. Just one more page!" She giggled, exhilarated by her progress. Her eyes raced through the final page before she closed the green hardcovers of the book.

"Done," she announced, her smile radiating her accomplishment.

Amused, Emiline rolled her eyes playfully. "Alright, let's go eat before Dad leaves us without food."

In the present, those sweet memories felt like they belonged to a different world as they got closer to the house. Cane's voice pulled Bianca's attention back to the moment.

"Bianca," he said, locking eyes with her. "Yeah?" she replied.

Cane glanced at Lois and then back at Bianca, his expression softening. "Ashton and I are gonna chat strategy with Luna Lois. You should have a private moment," he explained in a casual tone.