4

I stumbled disorientedly, stepping over twigs and stones. The moon was high in the sky, but its light failed to break through the thick coverage of the trees. The darkness blanketed the forest floor.

The air blew harshly, whipping through the trees and cutting at my skin. My body ached. The pain in my wrist only seemed to worsen. Usually, a rapid metabolic healing process would have kicked in, but for some reason, it wasn't.

I couldn't feel the connection between my wolf and me. I figured that was the reason my hand wasn't healing. I knew there was no way I would be able to shift either with no connection to my wolf. I was trapped in human form.

April? Are you there?

I desperately called out to my wolf.

I felt so scared.

So Vulnerable.

April, please, are you there?

I tried again, calling out over and over again to no avail. No matter how much I called out, there was only silence. I found myself wandering in what felt like circles, not knowing where I was going but moving forward. Since birth, I had never been this far off the territory of the Westmoon pack.

Not being able to shift and my wrist left me at a disadvantage in protecting myself.

I could hear the forest life moving around me, birds flapping about in the thickly overgrown trees. Small creatures of the forest hungrily scurried around the forest floor in search of food.

I needed food too, but I couldn't stop. I knew I'd have no choice but to keep going.

I dragged my body through dirt and mud for miles. Peaks of light began to break through the coverage and hit my skin. I followed the dim light of the moon.

I trailed on for hours until I couldn't take another step.

Exhausted, I leaned on one of the trees close to me. The rough bark dug into my skin. I slid to the ground as my legs gave out from under me, collapsing onto the muddy forest floor. I pulled my knees towards my chest. I was a victim of the violent winds.

My eyes became heavy, as I didn't have the strength anymore to keep them open. I let sleep take me.

A deep bellow filled the night air surrounding me, startling me.

A loud pounding of hooves hitting against the ground became louder as the sound became closer. I stood up quickly, fearing I would get trampled by the animal running toward me. I wanted to get up out of its path.

I stood on my weak legs.

The moose fell towards the forest floor in front of me. The wolf's teeth firmly latched onto the neck of the young bull. Streams of blood drenched the ground as it flowed out of the moose and from the wolf's jaws.

From the darkness, out came more wolves tackling the moose. It fell to the ground limply.

I stood face with a small pack of wild wolves. A total of four wolves, their heads buried inside a male moose, pelts stained red from the moose carcass as they devoured it.

My stomach growled loudly. I was starving. The sound of my hunger was so loud it altered them of my presence. Their heads turned to me and my eyes locked with who I assumed the alpha was. He growled at me, warning me not to take a step forward.

I didn't care. I was starving.

I took another step towards the dead moose, and the alpha growled again.