21

Cane's Point of View

I sank into the leather chair, its well-worn creaks harmonizing with my fatigue. My eyes, weary and heavy, remained locked on the relentless glow of the computer screen, their determined blinking a battle against encroaching drowsiness. The rhythmic tap of keys provided a steady, almost hypnotic soundtrack as my fingers danced across the keyboard, crafting a report that seemed to stretch into eternity.Beyond the room's confines, the world lay in peaceful slumber, oblivious to the late hour. The timid morning sun ventured tentatively through a slender breach in the heavy, charcoal-gray curtains, casting weak tendrils of light that crept across the room. Within this fragile illumination, dust motes drifted lazily, suspended in the air like ethereal whispers.

An imposing stack of manila folders stood sentinel at my side, each concealing a white sheet hinting at the countless hours I'd dedicated to their scrutiny. They taunted me, each folder a puzzle piece that stubbornly resisted fitting into the larger picture.My eyes stung with exhaustion, and the tension in my shoulders had become a ceaseless ache. My bed beckoned, its siren call promising rest and respite, yet duty held me captive.A soft, tentative knock rapped at the door as I teetered on the brink of completing the interminable report.

I sighed, raking a hand through my messy hair, my voice gravelly as I muttered, "Come in." The door inched open.

I closed my eyes for a fleeting moment, seeking brief respite, before straightening in my chair, resolve unbroken.

With a deep breath, I turned my attention to the figure standing in the doorway.

"Good morning, Prince Cane. I've brought you some coffee," Myra's soothing voice enveloped the room as she entered, cradling a small tray with two cups, wisps of steam curling gracefully from their rims. I hummed in anticipation, managing a faint, grateful smile as she placed one cup on my cluttered desk. The aroma of freshly ground coffee filled the room, and I inhaled deeply, rousing my tired senses.

"Thank you, Myra."

"You're welcome, young prince," Myra's voice resonated with care as she paused, her eyes filled with empathy. "Your mate's belongings have all arrived, and I've meticulously organized her clothing in your closet," she informed me as she placed the second cup across from me. My wolf stirred within, eager for our mate's arrival.

"Shall I prepare a seat for you at breakfast?" she inquired.

I shook my head, exhaustion tugging at every fiber of my being. "No," I sighed, my fingers cracking softly as I stretched them.

"In that case, I'll bring your breakfast here," she offered."Thank you," I replied, my voice raspy from fatigue but laced with gratitude. I reached for the cup, feeling its warmth seeping into my tired fingers, and took a cautious sip. The rich, bittersweet elixir flowed down my throat, reviving my weary body.

Myra observed me with knowing eyes, a blend of concern and understanding in her gaze. She surveyed the dim room. "Young prince, it's a beautiful morning. May I open the curtains for you?" I nodded, mumbling an agreement as I savored the coffee.

With a press of a button behind me, the curtains slowly rose, allowing sunlight to filter through and illuminate the room. I switched off the lamp on my desk, watching as the space transformed into the gentle morning light.

Glancing at the clock in the corner of the computer screen, my eyes widened at the realization that I'd lost track of time during my work."Has my father arrived?" I inquired, a note of surprise coloring my voice.

"Yes, sir," Myra confirmed with a nod. "He'll be up shortly." I nodded, anxiety now gnawing at me. Even after an entire night's effort, I had no leads to present to him, no solutions.I heard my father's distinct, measured footsteps ascending the stairs in perfect timing. Each step resonated in my ears.