17

The room seemed to hold its breath as an intense silence settled in, wrapping Emiline and Bianca in a heavy shroud of uncertainty. Their eyes locked in a wordless exchange, conveying a complex blend of worry, understanding, and determination. Emiline's brow furrowed as she studied her younger sister, Bianca, who appeared burdened by the world's weight. The silence was finally broken by Bianca's voice, cutting through the tension like a knife. 

"I need to go home," she declared her words a poignant mixture of resolve and vulnerability. Emiline's nod conveyed her agreement, a silent acknowledgment of the gravity of their situation.

"Glad we are on the same page," Emiline responded with a heartfelt sigh, her voice tinged with relief. Weariness etched across her face, she ran her fingers through her hair, revealing their recent experiences' toll on her. "Gods, I feel like I haven't slept in weeks," she admitted, her bottom lip caught between her teeth—a familiar nervous habit that resurfaced in this moment of uncertainty. Bianca's reassuring touch on her shoulder was a lifeline, a quiet assurance that they were united in their journey.

"We are going to figure this out," Bianca affirmed, her voice infused with a determination that kindled a spark of unwavering confidence between them. Her eyes locked with Emiline's, a silent promise exchanged amidst the turmoil surrounding them. "I just have to tell Cane I have to leave now," Bianca continued, her restless pacing mirroring the swirl of thoughts that consumed her. What could she even say to Elijah? What would she say to Cane? And how would he react? Bianca's mind churned with a whirlwind of contemplation, each thought adding to the chaotic symphony in her head.A thud against the door broke the silence, drawing Bianca's attention. The distinct scent accompanying the sound left no room for doubt—Cane. Another scent intertwined with his, one that Bianca instantly recognized as belonging to Ashton. Eavesdropping on the exchange just beyond the door, their ears caught fragments of the conversation."Ashton, stop being so damn nosey," Cane's voice reprimanded, carrying a hushed tone tinged with exasperation."Leave me alone, Cane. That girl in there with Bianca is my mate," Ashton retorted, his words saturated with a low growl that revealed his irritation.Bianca's wide eyes met Emiline's, the astonishment mirrored in both gazes. "No way," she breathed, the realization a heady mix of exhilaration and overwhelming emotion.Emiline remained silent, her gaze locked onto the door, her fingers fidgeting restlessly in her lap. The room felt charged, heavy with anticipation and uncertainty, as the weight of their circumstances hung in the air.In a swift and dramatic shift, the door's hinges emitted a protesting groan before succumbing to the pressure, crashing to the floor. Startled, both women turned their attention to the source of the commotion, their eyes widening at the scene unfolding before them.Cane's quick reflexes intervened, preventing Ashton from advancing further. Cane's arms formed a barrier that held his friend at bay, a mix of embarrassment and annoyance evident on his face. Ashton's growls reverberated with primal intensity, a testament to his frustration and impatience. Cane's attempt to manage the situation was palpable, his grip on Ashton's arms underscoring his determination to maintain control.Emiline's gaze remained locked onto Ashton, a whirlwind of emotions churning within her. Her heightened senses were attuned to her inner wolf, which wrestled for attention amid the growing connection with Ashton. His eyes mirrored her feelings, reflecting a mixture of delight and happiness. Yet, despite the enchantment of the moment, a pang of guilt gnawed at Emiline's heart. Thoughts of her parents and the dire state of their pack infiltrated her mind, mingling with the frustrating pull of duty that made it difficult to fully embrace the happiness before her.

The jubilant expression on Ashton's face gave way to a cloud of uncertainty. Self-doubt and insecurity took root, a storm of thoughts swirling within him as he grappled with the abrupt shift in Emiline's demeanor.Is she unhappy with me? Does she regret this connection?