Chapter 35 | Captured

"Well, that wasn't so easy as we thought it would be." Montwik said to me. He had a huge bandage covering his forehead. I then saw Jack running towards me, with a smile on his face. "Well, we succeeded." He said, grinning. "Don't celebrate so soon, Jack. We still don't know how things are in the other bases. We need the Inter-base communication networks to know the situation on the other bases." I replied.

"What are we going to do with these captured soldiers?" I asked Montwik. "Their number is even larger than we anticipated it would be. Schrotanic did manage to get quite a few people on his side." Montwik replied. "What do you suggest we do, Jack?" Montwik asked him. Just then, Bolius too came to join us in the discussion. "Hey Boilius." Montwik said. "Thank you for saving my life." He continued. "Don't mention it." He replied, grinning. "Bolius, what shall we do with the Kenjah supporters?" Montwik asked him this time. "Well, I suggest we execute them. They would definitely come in our way when we launch the final attack on the kenjah ." He replied. "Whoa! Hold on." I interrupted. "We are trying to keep the bloodshed to the minimum here. No killing." I said. "C'mon, Rithvik. This isn't the time for your non-violence ideology. If we don't kill them now, they're going to find a way to kill us later." Bolius argued. "It's not happening." I said. "Well, Bolius, I agree with Rithvik on this one. No killing." Montwik said. Bolius then looked at Jack. "I'm going with Rithvik. Killing is one step too far." Jack said. "Fine." Bolius replied. "Let's lock them up in the bunkers. Give them food three times a day and heavy security around the entries and exits round the clock. No one gets in, no one gets out." Bolius said. "That's fine with me. " I said. Jack and Montwik nodded their heads in agreement. "And by the way, in Schrotanic 's absense, you will be the leader of the remaining soldiers on this base. Be a good leader."Montwik said to Bolius. "Good that." He replied.

"You think that the other teams managed to capture the other bases?" I asked Montwik. We were sitting in one of the conference rooms which reminded me of the day Montwik debriefed us and said that they created us. It was a day I can never forget. "Things didn't go as planned for us. We have to wait for the communication systems to come back online to know the status of the other teams. But even if one or two teams fail, we can send in large number of squadrons to complete the task. It's no big deal. But if any of the base tries sending back messages to the kenjah, we would be in serious trouble." Montwik said. "I thought you said all communications were shut down and there's no way they can communicate." I asked, surprised. "That statement still stands, but there is always a possibility that the base could just send a jet to the home planet with the message. " He said. "What about the defense systems, then? You can take the jets down right?" I asked. "Our system isn't one hundred percent perfect, Captain. There is always a possibility that they can escape the net." He replied. "Alright, how much time left before the communication systems are back online?" I asked Montwik. "One hour to go." he replied. "Wait a minute." Jack interrupted. "What is someone manages to get the word out after the Communication Systems come online?" He asked. "We are activating the communication systems only between the bases. All signals which come in and go out of this planet would remain shut down." Montwik replied. "Fine." Bolius said, getting up. "I'll go and lock the resistance forces up." He continued and walked out of the room.

"When can we launch an attack on the kenjah? " I asked Montwik. "Based on the present scenario, if there are no more surprises in store, we'll be attacking the home planet within three to four days. It's going to be a tough job getting all the soldiers together and coordinate the attack, but don't worry, we'll pull it off." Montwik said. We sat in silence for a few minutes, pondering over what the outcome would be when the door opened and the rest of the crew entered the room and took their seats. Anna had a huge bruise on her face and Konrad 's hand was apparently fractured. "How have you guys been?" I asked the crew. "We've been good, Rithvik." Reneesh replied. "You didn't know that there were these many resistance soldiers?" Reneesh asked Montwik. "I accept that I underestimated them." Montwik confessed. "What's the guarantee that we underestimated the Kenjah 's army 's power too?" He asked Montwik. "We can't help it. The war has already started. There's no turning back." Montwik replied.

"We were just looking for a home. Just another planet. And ended up here, meeting a civilisation which was already at war with themselves. And we get involved, and ended up fighting a war which initially didn't even involve us." Anna said.

"This is a war for all the universes, Anna. Sooner or later, all the civilisations would have gotten involved in this. This madness must end, one way or another. Our civilisation has crossed all our limits. It is time for us to stop this madness." Montwik replied.